Wednesday, October 1, 2008

...planting plans

so far...it has been a busy day...

the long-restrained Piglet...
is once again "running free"...
"Queen of the Backyard"...
[actually...she thinks that she's Queen of EVERYTHING...
and to paraphrase that old TV commercial...
"it's not nice to fool with "the queen"..."]

after leaving Lacy at the vet[wheezing...]

I needed to go to the grocery store...
where I got milk... bread... butter...
soda crackers... cantaloupe... grapes...
tomatoes... zucchini... Fuji apples...
& some really nice looking green beans...

on my way to the grocery...I had stopped at OSH...
where I picked up some bedding plants...

and on my way home...I stopped at Quiznos...
[dbl cheese & veggie melt on a wheat roll...yummm...]


when I got home... I took in my groceries...
put them away...munched a couple of grapes...
they're actually ripe...& I'm very picky...
[country girl...grape ranch...]

then I went back out...
and put all the plants in the back yard...
giving them a good drink...
as some were too dry...

tomorrow...I'll plant most of them...



here are some mums to add to the planter by the fence...
also some snapdragons [mixed] for the boxes...
inside the fence by the garage...



in the ceramic doughnut planter...
there are 4 "Cathedral Windows"...
the one I had inside became a "cat salad bar"...
so these will replace it...
["they" have since decided...
that this plant doesn't taste good...
so these should be safe...]

also the only 4inch Marigold they had left...
I'm going to put it where the dill died...
in the big pot by the fence in the driveway...
[I wish I could figure out...
HOW to get dill to thrive...]

there is also one of those really cool leafed ferns...
[it's on the left...it's NOT a staghorn, but similar...
a "leather leafed" fern ?]
and a really small, 2" pot, asparagus fern variety...
that has such delicate fronds...
I've never seen one like it before...



I got 4 red cyclamen...and 3 white...
I have a large pot for them...
there are a couple left...
but the heat of summer almost always does several of them in...
these will fill it quite nicely...



I think that these are the same cool variety...
that I have one of... these say that they are a variety of "maidenhair"...
I plan to fill a couple of large hanging baskets with them...



and then... the violas...
these are all the same...
"Penny Yellow Jump-ups"...

I always look for "Johnny Jump-ups"...
and tend to find them later...
they have more orange on the bottom petal...
these are yellow...

they will go where the portulacas are now...
when the portulacas are finally spent...

the portulacas are starting to look kind of ratty...
faded and sunburned, with less blooms
probably another couple of weeks...
and they'll stop blooming...
[when the daytime temps are in the low 80's-70's...
they need the heat & bright sunlight...]

at this point...I'm due at the vets around 4:30...
to "view & discuss"the X-rays they took of Lacy...

then it's home to wait for another call...

but in the meantime...
it's time for lunch...



mmmmm... dbl cheese & veggie melt on wheat....

No comments: