Monday, October 20, 2008

...back to the backyard : update : finding the fence...

aka Molly in Wonderland...


having successfully "evicted" both Fluff & Piglet...
[last seen scampering up the ramp into the bedroom...]
Molly surveys her "Magic Kingdom"...
and celebrated by peeing in 2 places...



first I cut back the pomegranate tree, lantana & rose bush...
as well as a massive amount of invading ivy...
it took a good 10-15 minutes of pruning to reach the fence...
and it doesn't help that the ground is very uneven...



once "in"... the pieces of old prom props I used...
to keep the fence from falling in on me can be seen...



besides the black fence, trellis & arbor parts...



there are also real grape stakes and vineyard trellis stakes...
[grew up on a grape ranch...remember ?
if it was free... it was for me...]



remember... initially... the fence was leaning IN...
and all this that seems to be pushing it over...
was holding it UP...



I discovered that the cedars I was griping about...
were actually the ONLY thing holding most of the fence up...



with a bunch of brush & ivy[that stuff is SO invasive...]
out of the way... the "lean " becomes even more obvious...



looking to the south behind my garage...
beyond the dogwood tree and assorted crap...
you can see where UnklePhil will put a small fence...



the cleared fence to the north...



and to the south, from the redwood tree...



looking north from the dogwood along the cleared fence...
the bad condition & "lean" becomes obvious...



now from the peach tree...
you can actually see the fence...
I only removed the dead quince...
a ton of grapevine branches...
some lower redwood tree branches...
and moved a few plants...



and from here, you can see the fence also...
not to mention the huge pile of debris...
I need to go out and move now...

the guy who is building the fence just stopped by...
really nice man...seems to really know what he's doing...
and has good timing... because I took him out back...
and showed him what I had done...
which seemed to be enough for him...

he said that he always uses 3 rails [this one has only 2...]
and would use 6 foot redwood [3/4 inch thick]

currently...it's 8 ft cedar or something cheap...

so this new one should last a long time...

he looked at my driveway side fence...
which is 20 years old...and redwood...
and not at all in need of replacement...
[I oiled it a couple of times early on...
and it's on cement, not dirt...]

smiled and said,"this is why I use redwood...
it lasts a long time..."

he's doing demo on Thursday...
and setting the posts in cement...
he'll give them a couple of days to cure...
then put up the fence...
& be done hopefully, the beginning of next week...

hmmm...I wonder if he does bathrooms ?

No comments: