Saturday, October 25, 2008

...FFers strike again

I've mentioned before that I get together every month...
with some former colleagues for lunch...
we formed this group from a group that gathered...
to give me a retirement party ...
after my last official day of school...
in June, 2005...

the 4 regulars have met every month since...
sometimes "life" intervenes...
and it's only 2... but more often...
3 or 4...or more if Dar brings any of her kids...

and we celebrate birthdays...
so this month was mine...
last month was Deb's...
June is Dar & K's...

since the Creamery [our chosen spot...]
is now open for breakfast...
we met earlier than usual...
and had breakfast...

Dar, who now lives in Fremont...
brought her really cool daughter...
K's Mom is ill, so she had to miss this one...
but Deb managed to show up...late...
but with an acceptable excuse...

we all taught in the same department...
[except Dar, who teaches PE...]
8th grade English...
and Deb was our "dept.chair."...

we all shared a pretty snarky attitude towards the district...
[we have since been proved 100% correct...]
and it was only a matter of time...
before we refused to let administrative ineptitude...
interfere with our classroom instruction...
or our ability to "enjoy life" at the expense...
of all the fools surrounding us...

6 of the 7 of us were of the same mind...
[kids first... stupid bureaucracy, get bent...]
so we really got along well...
the 7th person was a brown-noser, extraordinaire...
we were just careful what we made fun of around her...

we call ourselves the FFers...
[I have to admit... it WAS my idea...]
for "F....... Flee-ers"...as we all left that school...
at the same time...never to return...

I retired after 20+ years...
K moved on to a high school in the district...
Dar moved to a different m.s. in the district...
and ultimately, a Bay Area m.s....
and Deb moved to a m.s. in the "sleepy village" district...
13 miles to the north of Mudville...
after 10+ years at our old school...

over 60 staff members left that school after that year...
and I was the ONLY retiree...
[lousy administrators will have that effect on a staff...]

anyway... we have a good time...
and in the 3+ years since....
are still meeting regularly...
and Dar comes in from Fremont...

so today being the celebration of my birthday...
I got "loot"...
[I have not included the cards...
or drawing Dar's daughter made for me...
to protect the identities of those concerned...]



the "librarian action figure"...
[with shusshing motion...]
is from Deb...
it was this or the "cat lady action figure"...
that comes with 8 cats...

"Froggy-girl"[she collects them...]chose well...

the Jelly Belly's & the socks are from Dar...

which was quite amusing...
given that I have been instructed to wear sox...
to the colonoscopy, on Halloween...




they are chenille...& sooo soft...

I would say that I'm all set...

now I need to run an errand...

then it's mow the lawn & plant some more stuff...

No comments: