Sunday, October 5, 2008

...getting comfortable, Molly style



I feel Molly getting more secure & comfortable each day...
but...of course there will be issues...

today... a couple of "canine" behaviors surfaced...
as is to be expected...she is, after all... a dog...

she is a singer/talker...
[think,"Scooby-Doo"...on uppers...]
especially ...when she's glad to see me...
is really excited...
or REALLY has to "go outside"...NOW ! ...

I mentioned the "rohwff-ing" earlier...
it is now merely the prelude...
high-pitched squeals...yipping...
sliding semi-yodeling/howling...
that would outshine any monologue Scooby-Doo ever uttered...
[and makes me wonder if there is some hound in her lineage...]

and it's all performed : fortissimo, crescendo et sfortzando...
[for you non-musicians, that's VERY LOUD...]

I've made sure to let my immediate neighbors know about her...
and her "singing/talking"...
so no one thinks that I'm abusing her...
[it does sound a bit like "bloody murder"...]

so... being the "Catsinger"...and innately "snarky"...

I've started to sing along with her...[I hear you RFL, MM...]
it seems to please and inspire her...
she'll start to wiggle & jump about as she continues her "aria"...
[think,"Snoopy's happy dance on acid...w/music...]

the cats head for the "high ground"...
to sit transfixed...
watching in horrified fascination...
trying to stifle a snicker behind their paws...
while shaking their heads in total feline disbelief...

the moment she's out the front door, lead attached...
the singing stops...as she searches for the perfect spot to pee...
if it's time for a "long walk"...
[around the big block or the "twice as long"block...]
she takes off f-a-s-t...

hurrying along the sidewalk...
until a place only she can recognize...
[and different each time...]
is found for the "dump"...
[this evening...it was 2 houses from home...
at the end of the walk...]

she also decided that she had to drink gutter water...
I dissuaded her by leading her to a sprinkler run-off puddle...
on the sidewalk...
[less chance of antifreeze poisoning than the gutter...]

and as a woman & her small terrier type passed us...
I assured her that Molly wasn't aggressive...
mere moments before Molly made a challenging movement...
toward the little dog...
who hadn't looked anything but scared...

THAT... was a surprise...

every time before this that I'm seen her encounter another dog...
no matter the size... she's been very submissive...
or even passive...

it was just a small movement...
but her ears were "up" and she was on "alert"...
she stopped immediately when I said "no"...
I just didn't expect that reaction from "mellow Molly"...
[maybe the little dog said, "yo' Mama" in "dog"...
and I missed it...]

she's been eating some...
but things still aren't "setting well"...
and...when "old cat food" is involved...
she barfs...

I'll just be glad when this week is up...
so we can ditch the collar...

she can eat & drink in it...
but not easily...
so when we come back from a walk...
I take it off for a bit...
so she can eat or drink more easily...

but I have to be vigilant...
as she will start licking her incision...
before I know what she's up to...
and then the collar goes back right away...

today...while she was "out of her collar"...
another lovely canine past time emerged...
"big game hunting" [aka fly catching]



this was my best "hunting" photo op...
she is intent and snapped at the fly several times...
I don't know if her hunt was fruitful...
and I don't want to...[ewww...]

she has bonded with me now...
I know she'll have trust issues down the road...
but she comes and puts her head in my hands...
leans into me... bumps me with her forehead...
and if given the chance... will kiss...

not big sloppy yucky dog drool kisses...
but sweet little sneaky licks...
with no drippy-ness or slime...
[even though visions of fly catching flit through my mind...
accompanied by a knowledge of "where that tongue has been"...
but...then...I'm also a "work in progress"...]

being a "vocalist"...
she also sighs, grunts, groans and mutters...
I suppose that it's only a matter of time...
before I'm fluent in "Molly"...

today...we had a minor cat word fight...
[aka: name calling, threat screaming & general trash talking...]
between Creamer, Gracie & Sneaky Pie...with Mack, contributing...

I only mention it because it was Molly's first "cat fight"...

she watched with much the same interested, but semi detached demeanor...
I see on all the non-involved kitties...
momentarily entertained... but not personally invested...

this worth a mention...
because most dogs would get involved...
or at least bark... at all the racket & commotion...

and she didn't...

tomorrow... I need to spend a lot of time at the church...
doing choir music for Lessons & Carols...
maybe I'll take her with me...
she wouldn't bother anyone in the under croft choir room...

we have been walking about 3 times a day...
with the other "outside" breaks starting around 5:30 AM...
and ending with a "last call" just before I go to bed...
11 PM-ish...

on the walks...we go out & around the neighborhood...
covering about 2.5 to 3 miles a day...
on the potty breaks... just out in front of the house...

right now... I'm really sore...
mostly from the no "warm-up"...
[Molly hits the ground, "running"...
and THEN... slows down...]

Wednesday will be the next big test...

MizYBee, dogophile supreme, wants her to come with us to the eye doctor...
I'm not sure that she needs a couple of long car trips...
sandwiching, being surrounded by a lot of people & activity...
so she'll just have to suck it up like the kitties...
and wait for me to get home...

she managed 5 hours today...
Wednesday will probably be a bit longer...



so...all in all...
another day of adjustments for us both...
or as someone jokingly said to me the other day...
"there may be some hope for you yet"...

at this point...
I'm very calm & peaceful in the midst of all of this...
almost like a stunned spectator in my own life... along for the ride...
surprised by grace... and the intricacies of the Master's plan...
so I know Who's behind all this change...
and it's all OK with me... God is good, indeed...

No comments: