Monday, October 20, 2008

..."back" to the back yard

only a couple more days of this...



then...this...FREEDOM...no more E-collar....



& Molly would be able to spend more time...
in the back yard on her own...
[cutting down on those "0dark:30" excursions...
especially when it's cold & wet..."]

currently, however...
there is a "minor" flaw in my plan...



notice the opening in the back fence...
notice the "tilt" of the fence in general...
the entire "back" fence is like that...

the people who built the fence[on the cheap...]
had a sprinkler system that got it wet every day...
the posts rotted...
and it started to sag into my yard...



so I piled stuff in front of it...
to stop it's falling in...



and actually propped it up with pieces of an old arbor...
it's side trellis and some sections of picket fence...

they were props from my schools "proms"...
that's why they are painted black...
when my school stopped having "proms"...
no one wanted them...

I took them with the idea of repainting them white...
and using them in the garden...
the wood is not really viable anymore...
so I'll probably throw them away...

I've been using one side trellis for a "cat ramp" for years...

anyway...

I met my "new"[3-4 months] backyard neighbor last night...
he seems very nice...Molly liked him...
he also mentioned having seen Piglet in his yard...
which didn't bother him...

but...as new homeowners are wont to do...
he's busily "fixing" things up...
so he's having the fence rebuilt...

ON WEDNESDAY !

and doesn't expect me to pay any part of it...

the people who built the current fence were "users"...
and expected me to contribute to their fence...
[I had a dumpster...so I let them put their old fence in it...]
they also tried to infringe on my property line...
you REALLY had to watch that guy...

he had been the principal at MY school...
before I got there... and was known there ...
for being "slick"...and "underhanded"...
he didn't last long there...

one of my friends at school...
an aide who had been there when he was principal...
upon discovering WHO my backyard neighbor WAS...
refused to go into the backyard when she visited...
she thought so poorly of him...
[despised is probably not too strong a word...]
and this gal was the "salt of the earth"...
& got along with everyone...
but she could spot a phony a mile away...

however, that's ancient history...
as he's been gone several years now...

the owners in between...
did nothing in the way of upkeep...
and it was during their couple of years tenure...
that the fence really went "downhill"...

they would leave their dog outside...
it would be bored & lonely...
and cry... whine... howl...etc...
then it started on the fence...

it managed to get into my yard...
and would chase Piglet & Fluff...
eluding me until I could catch it ...
and drag it back around the block...
then they would "fix" the hole...
but obviously NOT the fence...

the new guy says that they must have cut down...
a couple of small trees in the back...
[there are stumps...]
which is why I'm missing the persimmon tree...
too bad they didn't remove the tall cypress trees...
that get in the power lines...
[I took out the ones on my side 10 years ago...]

they did remove the tree that white fly used to invade...
that hung almost completely over the fence...
into my side and the apricot tree...
causing an infestation in my yard...

at least they left the big maples...
they just trimmed them... severely...
dropping the branches into my yard...
and made no attempt to contact me or clean it up...

both of the side fences are in good shape...
[I don't let sprinklers run on them...
and we used good cedar wood...]
there is a gap...between my garage and the back fence...
that UnklePhil recently told me...
he would be fixing on his side...

so today...after I get myself going...
before the chores I put off yesterday...
[cat boxes, cleaning the 'fridge, trash,
kitchen, floors...sigh...]

it's "back" to the back yard...
to move the stuff away from the fence...
so it won't be in their way when they take it down...
later this week...

*updates as they happen...*

*pictures later*

No comments: