Saturday, October 4, 2008

...lazy Saturday



it was cloudy all day yesterday...
OK...overcast...socked-in...
with a 90 % chance of our first rain overnight...
the air was heavy... humid...[for NorCal anyway...]

I didn't hear the rain last night...
but this morning...
when I went out to go get Molly from the vet's...
it was wet...
& I've heard intermittent sprinkles since...

the heaviness is gone...
it's still quite overcast...
though the sun peeks through once in a while...
only to disappear behind the regathered gloom..

there is a freshening breeze...
stirring the dampened foliage...
that holds hopes for more rain...
washing away the remnant of the collected summer dust...

so I got to the vet's...
& they brought Molly out of the back...
wearing the big Elizabethan collar...

as soon as she heard my voice...
she started wagging her tail...
came to me and leaned against me, seeming to say...
"I knew you'd be back to get me..."

she had had "the works"...
all the more poignant, since she was pregnant...

if she had gone to Animal Control...
as shy of men as she is...
AND... being "with puppies"...
there wouldn't have been a happy ending...

moment by moment...she's more relaxed...
more... "at home" here with me...

I must admit... I NEVER saw myself as a "dog Mom"...
[I guess that makes MM & Mr GT..."dog God-parents"...]
but I found myself getting excited for her return...
and about giving her the best home I can...

she had trouble getting into the car...
[I had to lift her...]
and since my car is a coupé [2 door]...
I told her to stay in the front seat...
and she did...instead of climbing into the back like usual...
[she won't be on the sofa for a day or two, either...]

they had said that she'd be woozy most of the day...
so I wasn't surprised when she barfed in the car...
[into the trash bucket...what a smart dog...]

the first thing she did when she got out of the car...
was to head for a strip of lawn...
after a l-o-n-g pee...
I could swear I heard a little doggy "ahhh..."

when we walked in the house this time...
both she & the cats took all completely as normal...

remember...

there was NO drama before...
just complete feline shock...
[totally, a-ma-zing !]

I led her to her bed...[ 3 cats had just vacated it...]



she was still confused by the "collar"...
and took a few moments to figure out how to lay down...



she figured it out...and tried to get comfortable...
but apparently... after her surgery...she needed more padding...



I burst out laughing when I saw this sight upon my return to the LR...
[the red thing under her butt is a cat nest...]

so...I set out to put more padding under her bed...
I got a newly washed cat pillow, about the size of her bed...
put it down and moved her bed on top of it...

then I looked at Molly, who was watching me...
and said,"here...try this..."
she got up...came over...
and...



it seems to be just what she needed...

I've checked on her several times since...
and she's been asleep...
on her improved, softer nest...
with her new kitty pals nestled in various spots about her...

she's even stretched a bit and changed position...
so I guess she's feeling better...
I'll make sure that she's "up to it"...
before doing any long walking today...
but we will "go out" several times...

I've known dogs & cats who were great friends...
but they were raised together...
I am sure that 999,999 of 1,000,000 dogs wouldn't adapt this well...
and it's not even adaptation...it just was...

I guess that makes her "1 in a million"...

sounds about right...

God is so good...

4 comments:

Katie said...

Hello,

Thanks for coming over to my blog and commenting!

It sounds like Molly was heaven sent! She really does seem like the perfect dog for your household. It is so amazing how well she and the cat household have adapted! Really wonderful!

Meg said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm currently babysitting my mom's two cats while she and my dad are on a three-week cruise. It's been fun having three cats in my tiny apartment!

I love your animal pictures and am off to look at more of them. : )

Miz Minka said...

Wow. This story just gets better and better. Just wow. :) Molly was meant to be with you!

catsinger said...

katie...thanks for the kind words...
I couldn't be a foster...I'd keep them all...and I did...once upon a time... :0

meg..I'm curious as to where & what you are teaching[if you don't mind..]
I taught jr hi band & orchestra in Mudville 17 of 21 years in SUSD...:D

MM...the story continues to "metamorphose"... new post perking...
are you & MrGT OK with being dog Godparents ? ;D