Friday, December 5, 2008

...a proper turkey sandwich



one of my favorite things about having a turkey...
are the left-overs...
from quick heated mini versions of the "main event"...
to the sandwiches you can have for every meal...
[my family ate them for breakfast...]

this year I was fortunate enough...
to celebrate Thanksgiving with the Greenthumbs...
and they sent me home with a bounty...
of delectable leftovers...
which I have been enjoying, re-heated, for days...

today I realized that there was really only enough turkey left...
for one good sandwich, so I'm going for it...

I've always enjoyed a good turkey sandwich...
and will eat them done many ways...
even those made from "deli turkey"...
if the real thing isn't available...

when I'm not fortunate enough to have T.D leftovers...
[freshly roasted, hand carved turkey breast...
and stuffing... etc...]
I often make a sandwich similar to this...



I often don't use mustard...though sometimes I will...
I also prefer Swiss cheese to Provolone...
and besides lettuce & ripe tomato...
I like thinly sliced sweet red onion...
this is obviously a summertime favorite...

this version is low salt...not an issue for me...

I also enjoy a deli turkey sandwich with bacon...



lettuce & tomato too...
basically a BLT with turkey...
[and yes...I like the bread toasted...]


I've had sandwiches like this...



and enjoyed them...

but for my taste... it doesn't get much better than this...

the Thanksgiving left-overs sandwich...



roasted turkey, dressing, cranberry...yum...

of course, in my mind there is a step beyond that...



MY version....

lightly toasted & buttered whole grain bread...
a layer of cole slaw...
[yes MM, with the MW dressing...unless I have yours...]
a layer of stuffing...
several slices of turkey breast...
a thin layer of cranberry-orange relish...
[again, MM's is better...]
squeeze together...cut in half...
consume leaning over the sink or a dish...

YUM



definitely...a fitting end to a marvelous feast...

2 comments:

The Calico Quilter said...

OH, yeah, can't forget the cranberry sauce on the sandwich - better than any relish or spread. Why don't we buy cranberry sauce the rest of the year? It would be great on a chicken sandwich too.

catsinger said...

...the homemade cranberry relish by my friend , Miz Minka, is to die for...
but the real thing for me is the slaw... the crunch & tang of the dressing...we always had it with turkey...
in it's absence, I've become fond of home-made tabouli... it's so green & tasty with the richness of the turkey et al...