Monday, December 8, 2008

...it's Monday, sigh...



I woke up this morning with a scratchy throat...
and a nasty sinus headache....
the latter got Zyrtec-D & Excedrin...
[which at this point are sort of working...]
the former got a couple of large mugs of Gypsy Cold Cure tea...
[which is, at this point, the more successful remedy of the 2...]



after I took out the trash & discovered that it was "misting"...
I started a pot of pink beans to soak...
I will boil them off later...then throw out the water...
and cook them with a ham hock, garlic & onions in chicken stock...

I also decided to be brave...


and try a light whole wheat bread recipe MM gave me...



of course, I screwed up right off the bat...
when I forgot to add the olive oil in with the water...

the recipe said a "scant" 2 C water...depending on the humidity...
since it was so damp outside, I thought it would be fine...
then I got involved in doing stuff...and forgot to check...

the thudding noises brought me back to check the Zo...
and I found a big lump with a dusting of unincorporated flour...
thudding around with some normal looking stuff on the bottom...
the good news was that everything was in the middle...
nothing was stuck to the sides...

so I added a bit of water...then a few drops more...
the more I added, the less it made that thudding noise...
and all the dry flour incorporated...
leaving me this...



now...well into the 1st rise...I have this...



and that marvelous yeasty smell beginning to permeate the house...
I hope it turns out OK...
but for now... I have stuff to do...

2 comments:

The Calico Quilter said...

OOOH, you're brave. My breadmaker doesn't have a window and I NEVER open the top when it's working! (I just find the failures later.)

catsinger said...

...Miz Minka, my Bread Machine Mentor told me to pay attention to the mix/knead because you may need to add water or more flour or scrape down the sides...both times I've used the Zo...I've needed to do something...
this bread is delicious, BTW...