Sunday, December 21, 2008

...Lessons & Carols, the after-glow

the location...



St John the Evangelist Anglican Church, downtown Mudville...

the setting...



our historic 105 year old sanctuary...

the occasion...



our annual service of Lessons & Carols...

I've described the contents of this service...
in great detail elsewhere, a couple of times before...
so I won't repeat that description a 3rd time...

last year, I wrote "working without a net" on Dec.9, 2007...
describing my surprise at being successful as a choral director...
something I've had no real training for...not at this level...
I have studied instrumental conducting and sung in dozens of choirs...
but choral conducting is it's own field...
and I haven't studied it...

I spoke of my hesitancy to step out of my "comfort zone"...
"in" the choir...to a place of leadership in front of it...

besides the fact that I love singing in this group...
and the conductor can not sing...
AND be effective as a conductor...
it just doesn't work...

God gave me this choir to sing with...then, to keep it going...
I had to give up "just" singing and direct...
a lot more work...
& not nearly as much fun as singing...

but it seemed to be where He wanted me to be...
so I went with it...and I have begun to realize...
that God gives us a multitude of gifts...
His ability to give is infinite...
it's our ability to accept all He has to offer...
that's limited...

limited by our fears... lethargy... stubborn refusal to change...
our inability to allow ourselves to be loved...

the service tonight was wonderful...
there were "places" that could have been better...
but a lot of beautifully crafted music "happened"...
the congregation seemed genuinely moved & blessed...
and things went much better than last year...

we had several new people with us this year...
who're considering becoming "regulars"...
I hope they do join us on a regular basis...

I know that God has richly blessed me...
to allow me the privilege to work with these wonderful singers...
to feel appreciated for my work...
and to see the talents He has given me be used as He intended...

the whole of this group is greater than the sum of it's parts...
because of their heart & mind being focused on praising God in music...
their marvelous musicianship, subjugation of ego for the good of the group...
willingness to work and let the beauty of the music shine through...

this is their daily gift to me...

and I am humbled and privileged to work with them in His name...

so tonight, as we sang from the heart...
and touched hearts & souls...
it was another reminder to me of His goodness...
and the overflowing bounty He provides for all of us...
if we will just allow Him to give it to us...

I don't need a net anymore... because they lift me up...
and together, we can reach out and bless the heart of God...

4 comments:

Miz Minka said...

A quote comes to mind (I don't know who said it):

"God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called."

Maybe just so's we don't lean on our own strength too much but rely on Him in all things. I don't know where the St. John's choir would be without you today.

Thank you for tonight, and for the many Sundays and hours of preparation that led up to this service. My perfectionist personality wants to bemoan certain "hiccups," but I have faith that God used our music to bless the congregation anyway.

God bless you in all that you do, dear Sister in Christ!

catsinger said...

...you've literally brought tears to my eyes...

you and all the lovely singers with whom I am privileged to work ... make all the time & effort...
[on all of our parts,]
not only worth it...
but also very meaningful...

I also noticed some hiccups...

but I too, know that God called us all to be there... doing that...the best we could at that time...
and so, as you said ...
He has blessed not only those who sang, but those who heard as well...

in seeking to serve...I have been blessed... more than I ever could have expected...and your support, as well as that of all the singers has been amazing... thank you all...

and may God continue to richly bless both of you...
my dear Brother & Sister in Christ, who were willing to be "used" by God...

Mousie and Christy's Mommy said...

As one who sat in the audience I can assure you that I noticed no "hiccups" but simply enjoyed, with all my heart, the incredibly wonderful music. I truly did feel blessed to be there...what a privilege. You did an incredible job, Catsinger! It is obvious from the way they sang that the members of the choir are quite grateful for your leadership. You have blessed us all.

catsinger said...

...many thanks M&CM
I think that our choir, & last night's performance, are an example of what God can accomplish in us when we joyfully allow Him, His way...

I have been in a LOT of church choirs,some rather good...
as well as professional [paid] choruses where the level of musicianship was world-class...

if I could chose one group for all eternity, I would choose this one...
selected, crafted, inspired and
motivated by God... it blesses my heart over & over...
God's "perfect storm choir", as it were...
"equally-yoked" in His service...