Tuesday, December 23, 2008

...all is bright, NOT...well, maybe a little...

Monday was an emotional roller-coaster...
basking in the nice afterglow of Lessons & Carols...
as well as several really nice comments made to me...
making plans for Christmas...

only to be interrupted by the horrific shock...
of finding sweet, silly Gracie laying dead on the floor...
not a mark on her...just gone...
she was just 4...

I know the prayers and words of sympathy sent my way...
from several friends, some who knew Gracie well...
have helped to get me through the ordeal of the burial...
and the creeping awareness & pain of my loss...
poor Sneaky Pie, Gracie's sister...
was very upset and just wanted to be held...

so by around 10:30 PM...
I was ready to move into a new frame of mind...
I started to warm to the idea of "fanning the flames"...
of the neighborhood light wars, just a bit...
as Unkle Phil has made good on his threat promise...
to ramp up the light show...

though I must admit...
the gazillion lights in the crepe myrtle tree...
were blinking discreetly...
but I had "other fowl to fry"...

and being inspired by the pattern emerging in his previous 2 posts...
[he's now posted 4 times in one month...what a concept !]
I did some research and posted my previous blog quite late...

then I checked out UPhil's blog before calling it a night...
and found myself ROTFLMBO at Miz Minka's take...
and clever verses, expounding...
on the same pattern I had observed...

inspired myself, I added a verse to hers...
continued chuckling...and headed for bed...

as I walked into the bathroom...
I realized that I still had a hose on in the back...
[my grapefruit tree was thirsty...
and I was running the hose during the burial...]

so at almost 1 AM... I went out to turn off the hose...



observing that all the "decorators"...
[including il tenore...]
had turned OFF their lights for the night...
leaving my lemon tree a gleaming bastion...
of tasteful seasonal decor...



and then... I saw it... the "death star"...
glowing malevolently in the flower box...
accompanied by it's tacky pink, metalic cohort..



Unkle Phil's picture of a pale, glowing orb...
didn't do it justice...
not to mention the jaunty chapeau..[ewwwww]

upon closer inspection...I saw even brighter lights within...



[leave it to a tenor to be attracted to bright, shiny things...]



it reminds me of an alien brain on Star Trek,[TOS]
either that..or Unkle Phil has donated his own to "decorating"...
cause this certainly isn't science...

[with apologies to F. Gruber]

"Foul, Pink-y Night"

"pink water fowl...
you make me growl...
your tack-i-ness...
causes dis-tress...
all that's gaud-y &
tawd-ry you are...
you look so garish...
e-ven from a-far...
thank God I can't see you from my bed...
or else I just might drop dead..."

[Bwa-ha-haaaaa...*snort*]

4 comments:

Miz Minka said...

I have to admit: I like the flamingo with the large glowing orb, I think it looks cool! (But maybe not all night long, I'll give you that, Catsinger.)

catsinger said...

...it's 24/7...it never goes off...
I LIKE the glowing orb...if it was hanging from the top of the porch, I'd think it was cool...
but it's a flamingo's belly for heaven's sake... and a tubular one that looks very "kitchy", at that...ewww...

The Calico Quilter said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Gracie. I haven't been reading the blogs for a few days, being so busy with Christmas. This is awful news. Please accept my sincere sympathy. I have been there, and do know how you feel. Give Sneakie Pie a hug for me.

catsinger said...

thanks for the kind words...
I found her around 2 PM on Monday...
not a mark on her...
she was only 4... :(

it was so sudden... I keep wondering why she isn't under foot...