Tuesday, December 16, 2008

...doggie destructo derby

I've been really busy lately...
so Molly is bored...
and has taken to demolition to amuse herself...

I heard the sounds... the play growling...
the yipping...the ripping...
but by the time I got into the LR...
this was all that was left of Lucyfur's favorite nest...



now Lucyfur is becoming one of Molly's favorite pals...
I often see them nudging each other...
but if Molly gets too pushy, Lucyfur will swat her...
so perhaps it was payback...

if I'd known...I'd have used the bitter apple stuff...
though that might not be good for Lucyfur's bed...

so after I admonished Molly, who was too pleased with herself...
Lucyfur came over to view the carnage...



my burning question...

WHY... tear-up a new bed...?
when there are a couple that are falling apart...
and wouldn't be missed...

except for the destructo part...
this is beginning to look suspiciously like the baiting tactics...
of a certain neighbor of mine...
who has a "seasonal decorations hoo-hah fetish"...
which he's really trying, and he can be, really trying...
to infect me with...quite unsuccessfully, I might add...

my brother used to bug me in similar ways when we were kids...

come to think of it...
Unkle Phil & my brother share the same birthday...
4 years apart...but the same day...

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

4 comments:

Miz Minka said...

It doesn't matter whether it's an old bed or a new one; she probably enjoyed the texture/s as she was ripping it apart. I would still consider crating Molly if you know you're going to be busy/away for a while when she'll get bored.

And definitely: if you're hearing suspicious noises, you should investigate immediately and tell her to stop.

I don't think any of my cats ever minded the bitter apple spray once it dried, but the dogs did.

(Whatever you do, DON'T use cayenne pepper and/or other hot pepper spray/powder, or your cats might want to --literally-- scratch their eyes out if they get it on their paws, then wash their faces, and....)

Miz Minka said...

Another inexpensive diversion: buy Molly used stuffed animals at second hand stores or garage sales. Lots of different ones, with lots of different smells/texture. That worked for one of my "chewers." I got tired of bringing her new toys that she'd shred within an hour. The garage sale toys were great -- I gave her so many, she had a hard time choosing! I still had to keep certain things put away -- e.g, she never could resist a hardcover book lying on the coffee table, dirty socks, cleaning sponges, or anything with a food smell on it (she once chewed up small ceramic dishes I had used to feed my cats -- and no, this was not a puppy, she was 4 yrs old at the time). If Molly's developed a "thing" for catbeds, then you may just have to put them out of reach.

Miz Minka said...

(I'm taking over your comments section!) ;)

Does Molly have a Kong? If not, do get her one, and some cheap peanut butter. Smear a bunch of PB inside the Kong and watch Molly have a good time. Great diversion if you know you're going to be away for a bit. I've never met a dog who didn't like peanut butter!

Here's a diversion for you: take a big "glump" of PB and smear it on the roof of Molly's mouth, then whip out your camera and video tape the look and the incessant licking. It's hi-la-ree-ous. :D

Look here for Kongs (or at most pet stores); ideas what else to stuff a Kong with here; and how the Kong was invented here. (Email me if the links don't work.)

I miss having a dog. :)

catsinger said...

#1 she has a fleece chew toy, the fleecy toy YB gave her, a purple wiener dog & other stuffed stuff...
not to mention tons of bones & pigs ears...all of which she chews on...
but recently, she "unstuffed a sofa pillow...[it now has a big split in the seam...I was going to ask you to stitch it up when you were not so busy...]
good to know about the bitter apple spray & cats... & thanks for the reminder about the cayenne...

#2 she does have a bunch of toys she plays with...I think the bed smelled like Lucyfur and she wants to play with Lucyfur...

#3[at least UP can't "bait" me then...;D]
Molly's purple octopus is a Korg covered with tentacles,etc...
you've mentioned the Korg/peanut butter thing before...I used your Amazon link & ordered one... I'll give it a try...thanks for the links...:D
BTW... I think the diversion for "me"...is also for "you"too...as I can see you ROTFLYBO at the video that would ensue... ;D

I'm reminding you that you may not live with a dog...but you have 24/7/365 access... anytime you feel the need of a little doggie drool &
frolicking... just drop by... we'd come over...but...you know...
thanks for ALL your good advice & help... it's always appreciated... ;D