Monday, December 22, 2008

...Gracie, we hardly knew ye


[10/31/08 ©Miz Minka, used with permission]

I have just discovered a tragedy in my family...

I have just found silly, irascible, sweet Gracie...
laying dead on the floor...

there is NO indication of any violence to her...
her fur is dry and soft...
no wetness or blood...
and her neck is not broken...

I heard a distress cry earlier...
but when I investigated, could find nothing...
I only heard it a couple of times...
then it stopped...

when I found her, she was no longer warm...
and she was stiff...
so what I heard must have been her death cry...
I'm so sorry I wasn't there to hold her as she left us...

I have been so busy the last couple of days...
I realize now, she wasn't as pesty as usual...
and I remember thinking last night...
that she looked different, perhaps a bit under the weather...

now I'm really sorry that I didn't pay more attention...

I hope she knows I loved her very much...
and will miss her greatly...

I was planning on using these amazing photos...
that Miz Minka took of her on Halloween...
to illustrate a Cat-mas carol...
"There she sits, the Divine Gracie"...

now they are part of her memorial...

rest well, my sweet kitty...
may you have many new & exciting perches to explore...
and lots of comfy laps to snooze in...
in Kitty Heaven...


[10/31/08 © Miz Minka, used with permission]

4 comments:

Mousie and Christy's Mommy said...

Dear Catsinger...

I was so sad to read about little Gracie's untimely death. I can only imagine your sadness at finding her today. I have no doubt in my heart that God has prepared a very special place for His 4 footed creations that go "meow" and "woof!" I also have no doubt that Gracie knew that you loved her! May she find happiness in that special place prepared for her and may you find comfort in your memories of her and in the love of those who care about you...I am in that group.

catsinger said...

...M&CM...
thanks for the kind words...
as with any sudden passing...
it really hasn't sunk in yet...I'll be looking for her for days...
even with all the others...
the house seems empty...
she was always right there to be petted... & loved attention... I took a lot of pictures of her, but MM's 2 portraits are perfection...I'm so glad now that I have them...
Gracie was just 4 in late August...

Anonymous said...

Oh, Nancy...I am so sorry...

Kim

catsinger said...

...thanks, it must have happened right after I got home from seeing you or just before...
such a shock... I've been snuggling kitties all evening...
her sister Sneaky Pie is upset...
I'm just very glad that there was no sign of violence...
in other words, the dog couldn't have been responsible...