Saturday, December 13, 2008

...a Christmas open house



I had a busy social calendar today...

first, the FFers had "brunch"...
which I almost slept through, waking-up with a start...
15 minutes before we were to meet...
so as I drove towards the Creamery...
holding my cell, expecting a,"where the heck are you" call...
[which never came...]
I managed to get there only about 15 minutes late...

one of the "gang" said she left me a message...
which was puzzling since I had the phone in my hand...
and it never rang...

we discovered that the number she called...
wasn't me...she didn't know WHO it was...
at that point...I should have known...
it was going to be "that kind of day"...

so after brunch and "gossip" [we were SO bad...hee, hee...]

I came home to walk Molly, feed kitties, AGAIN...
re-acquire the Piglet [aka get her to come inside ...]
check & answer e-mail..., write a post, answer the phone...
and leave for "Vitamin C Hills"[an hour+ one way]
to make an appearance at Smiley K's annual Holiday open house...

I'd missed it last year, due to L&C rehearsal...
but I'd made it many other years when Big J was still with us...
[Smiley K & I HAVE known each other for 40 years...]
so I drove north, getting a bad case of click-click fever...
as I looked at the magnificent sky in my rear view mirror...

but I hadn't brought the camera[s] so I just continued on...

the crowd was pretty sparse, most of the family I know weren't there...
and all of the others were members of the RCChorale she plays for...
the church choir she plays for or other librarians...
so I didn't know any of them, but we all chatted for a bit...
and then they all left at once, with other destinations...
and obligations urging them on...

Smiley K asked me if I wanted to stay a bit longer...
visit & have some supper [a nice butternut squash & apple soup]...
there was a ton of finger food left...
that we'd been only partially successful...
in keeping most of her cats away from...

and in the case of Johann, completely unsuccessful...
the little devil, who really looks like a short-haired Gracie...
[soul patch, white spot on the back and all...]
loves rose leaves and dumped a vase of roses over onto a cookie tray...
creating a large mess of water, powdered sugar and soggy cookies...

fortunately, I saw the evil deed...and shooed him away...
I was able to clean-up the mess before the cookies were ruined...
which was fortunate since they were homemade...

after a nice visit, I left for the return trip to Mudville...

it was almost 8 PM, when I rolled into a gas station...
running on fumes... I slide my credit card...
"see attendant"...I tried again...same message...
so muttering to myself, I went inside...
my card wouldn't work there either [I just got & paid my bill...]
so I had to fork over $15.00 cash so I could get home...
[it was $1.799 p/gal,[premium] the least I've paid in a l-o-n-g time...]

at least I got to use their restroom...

as I neared home... more surprises awaited me[read my previous post...]

now I need to pick some lemons...
"light" work, unless the flashing "blinds me"...
it's supposed to freeze Monday-Wednesday nights...
although the heat from all the flashing lights...
would probably keep the lemons from freezing...

but there's a lot of them...
and I can give away a bunch at church tomorrow...
so I'll brave the upper 30's temps & just do it...
perhaps Unkle Phil will be gloating over his nefarious handiwork...
see me out there and I'll get the horse laugh from him...

that's fine... there's a nice rotten lemon on the ground...
and I know just what to do with it...[*snort*]

No comments: