Wednesday, November 5, 2008

..."Serenity Prayer"



this is the first election I can remember...
[and I've been voting for almost 40 years...]
where I was literally afraid of either side winning...

I've had my "partisan" moments...
but this... isn't that...

I've been tired of it... the lies & the rhetoric...
and felt powerless about it, for months ...
and now that it's over...the fear has intensified...
robbing me of my calm center...
with a dread of the future, for us all...

seeking to restore my peace, I turned to God...
He took me to these words...
I'm sharing them here with all of you...

those of you, who like me...
have had more than enough...
and just want your peace back...

those of you, who like me...
may feel angry and disenfranchised...

those of you, who like me...
feel sad, disillusioned and even hopeless...

and especially, those of you, who like me...
are very afraid...

may the Creator of all that is, bless & keep us all...

"The Serenity Prayer" [Rienhold Niebuhr]

God grant me the serenity...
to accept the things I cannot change...
courage to change the things I can...
and wisdom to know the difference...

Living one day at a time...
Enjoying one moment at a time...
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace...
Taking, as He did, this sinful world...
as it is, not as I would have it...

Trusting that He will make all things right...
if I surrender to His Will...
That I may be reasonably happy in this life...
and supremely happy with Him...
Forever in the next...

Amen.

[in loving memory of Fr B.Griffin, 1932-2000
Requiescat in Pace ]



"Trust in the Lord with all your heart...
and lean not on your own understanding...
in all your ways, acknowledge Him...
and He will direct your paths."

[Proverbs 3: 5-6 ]


Pax vobiscum...

No comments: