Wednesday, November 26, 2008

...preparing to give thanks

tomorrow...

I will be celebrating Thanksgiving...
at the home of Mr & Mrs Green Thumb & Minka...

I'm doing the veggies...
and there will be NO green bean "casseroles" on my watch...

I'm NOT "into" sweet potatoes with marshmallows either...
and, thankfully... neither are they...

they will be roasting the turkey...
making the stuffing, gravy & sweet potatoes
and there will be a mound of mashed potatoes...

yumm... I can't wait...

so after actually eating something this AM...



I got down to business and started the green beans...
[that I prepped yesterday...]
cooking with chopped garlic & onion, salt & pepper...
in some olive oil & chicken broth...



they will cook, "low & slow"...
in a heavy cast iron pot with the lid on...
becoming soft and delicious...
at one with the red onion and the garlic, which will poach...
rendering them both sweet and savory at the same time...



Mom...and Grandma, too...always used bacon...
and sometimes tomato in these beans...
I don't enjoy stewed bacon...
and can do without the tomato...

but the cracked pepper...
and the chicken broth [my addition...]
the onion... and the garlic [also mine...]
just HAVE to be there...



yesterday, I oven roasted some Brussel's sprouts...
at 400 for 40 mins...
with EV olive oil & Kosher salt...



likewise, sliced red onions & garlic...



as well as fennel & sweet young carrots...



which today are bagged and waiting in the 'fridge...


I also found myself with a bunch...
of fresh herbs that needed using...
before the frost would get them...
I like to use them fresh...
so it needed to be done soon...



so it was time for Scarborough Fair Garlic Herb Butter...
parsley, sage rosemary & thyme...as well as garlic & oregano...
all minced fine and mixed with a pound of softened butter...

I like organic, cultured, sweet cream butter...
mixed with about a cup of minced garlic[or less...]
a cup of minced flat leaf parsley...
and minced oregano, sage, rosemary & thyme to your taste...
I use about 1/4 C sage, TBSP thyme & oregano...
& about a tsp of rosemary...[the young mild leaves, no stems...]



it's good on a lot of things...
warm veggies, bread... as a rub on a roast...

so now... with the "fun" stuff done...

the chores begin...

sigh...

No comments: