Wednesday, November 12, 2008

...my new toy, #1 [aka you only live once...]

I have always loved taking pictures...

starting with Mom's "box" camera...
then, to my "Brownie" days...
& on to the "Instamatic"...
culminating with my manual Nikon SLR...

I like capturing the moment...
an emotion... a transitory image...

playing with light & shadow...
shapes, textures... and colors...

I bought a Fujifilm digital SLR camera a couple of years ago...
and loved using it... but couldn't download the images...
the 9 mega pixal system they use requires a USB II cord...
I could get one installed on my cpu, but it's a giant pain...
it worked fine to download on a PC without the USB II...
but it won't work on my Mac...

so I got a Canon S1000 w/7.1 mp point-&-shoot...
which has worked just fine...
especially for blogging...
but now the focusing & control bug has bit me...

I crave "macro"...
the detail I got from my old Nikon...
even from the Fujifilm 6000 to an extent...
and the control...

after doing some research...
I came to some conclusions...

I really like taking the pictures I "see"...
in startling clarity & detail...
and it's just NOT possible...
with the lesser equipment...

& the Fujifilm, though "nice"... is not working for me...
because I can't download the images to my computer...

the articles I read [Consumer Reports] suggest...
buying a good quality versatile basic camera...
and spending your money on a couple of good lenses...

ie... don't spend big bucks on the body...
spend the most on the lenses you want...
most basic digital SLRs come with a "kit" lens...
even the most advanced ones have a do-all kit lens...
so buy the best basic body...and better lenses...
that meet your tastes & needs...

as one photographer put it...
"you'll never be sorry you spent $1000.00 for a lens...
but you'll be sorry real soon if you spend $1000.00 for a camera..."

so with that in mind... I scoured CR's ratings...
it didn't take long... 2 Canons were in the list...
[I like their software & they have an excellent reliability rating...]

both the Rebel EOS SXi & SXt...
were on the list of best basic digital SLRs...
& both did NOT require a USB II interface... so I read on...

the SXi was a 12 mega pixal model with rave reviews...
the 2nd highest rating in it's class by 1 point[basic digital SLRs]
and listed as a CR "Best Buy" at the MSRP of $700/800.00...
the other Rebel was a lesser quality camera [10 mp]...
a significantly lower rating...& for too much $$...

the XSi had a rating of "excellent" for image quality...
dynamic range & ease of use...
it's versatility & viewfinder were rated "good"...
and it has an effective ISP of 800 with best quality...

it also shoots at a blazing speed of 3.5 frames per second...
[unusual for a basic SLR...]
and will shoot bursts of 20 seconds without stopping...

my decision to buy the Canon Rebel EOS XSi made...
I went shopping...


and at the same place I got my Fujifilm 6000...
I found a good price... significantly below the MSRP...

they also don't charge shipping OR sales tax[I love the Internet...]



they also had a deal on a good zoom lens [$100.00 off ! ]



as well as what I craved... a good "Macro" lens...
there was one for twice what this cost...
but this will be just fine for now...



I used to love using filters...so I got a set...
the UV one will be especially useful...



and since this kind of camera does not come with a built-in flash...
this inexpensive one will work just fine...



I consider the hard shell case necessary protection...



and the 2 lens storage bags will fit into...



the equipment bag that can hold 2 SLRs and several lenses...
as well as assorted other stuff...

I can't wait for it all to arrive...

at a time in my life when I've been actively de-cluttering...
you might wonder if I'm just gathering "stuff" again...
I consider it "stuff"...only if I don't use it & love using it...
I don't think that will be a problem here...

maybe God will give me a way to make some $$ taking pictures...
that would be really cool...

No comments: