Thursday, November 13, 2008

...Mackie in peril



I was getting ready to have dinner...
in front of the TV tonight...

as I was opening the doors...
I noticed Mackie, who was lying on the top...
had wet paws, front & back...

I investigated, since he always keeps them snowy white...
and saw that his tummy was wet too...
smelled like urine...and it was...

I called my vet, but he was gone for the day...

they made a suggestion or two...
since it was an hour before the Emergency Vet Clinic would open...

I stashed Mac in a carrier...
laid my dinner aside and drove off in search of a vet still open...

after striking out, I headed for the EVC...

I got there about 5:40 PM...
the doctor wasn't there yet...
and due to traffic problems[and a huge full moon...]
she wouldn't arrive for a while...

the good news...we were first....

after the doctor saw him...she suggested a blood panel...

the results were inconclusive...

obvious potential problems were ruled out by the results...
she said that further tests were necessary...
perhaps even a biopsy...

she suggested x-rays as the best, non-invasive method...
of answering the questions raised by the blood work...

I left him there...to receive IV fluids & antibiotics...
and have to pick him up at 7 AM & take him to my vet...

I had been home about 45 minutes when the doctor called...
he has a good sized tumor in his chest, under his heart...
it may be benign, but surgery is the only treatment...
and its location makes surgery NOT a good option...

before I left... I paid $831.06 for his treatment...
and the tests my vet would have run anyway...
[they just would have cost a lot less...]
this is all so sudden...

just this weekend, he got out & led me a merry chase...
twice...before being caught when he stopped...
to roll in the catnip...
and now I realize he didn't come to say ,"hi" this AM...

he's shown no signs of distress...



here he is smiling at the camera...
& "deviling" his sister Murphy just this August...

and here's a picture I took on 11/05/08...



Mr. Mackie Greeneyes...

it doesn't look good at this point...
and though it will break my heart...
he may have to be put to sleep tomorrow...

I appreciate the prayers I know have already been said...
and ask that any of you who might be so inclined...
will say a word or two to "your higher power"...
for Mackie... a very sweet kitty who is pretty sick...
for his kitty & dog family... who love him...
and for me, his mom...

who knows that God has everything under control...
and that He is good... all the time...

No comments: