Tuesday, September 16, 2008

...taming the backyard, 1.3

there are perks to being a pack rat...
especially when you are digging through things...
and find stuff that you need...

some wouldn't call a whirly gig a need...
but I absolutely love watching it...

it's like a stained glass kaleidoscope...
glowing in the sunlight...
strobing, perpetual motion in the breeze...
spinning, flashing and dancing...
a technicolor spasm of joy...

I liked it so much... I knew Mom would too...
[liking bright & shiny is in our DNA...]
so I got one for her while I still could...
[I haven't seen this kind for several years now...]

and when she left the ranch...[April 2005]
she gave it to me...and I "stashed it away"...
cleverly forgetting where...
while watching mine fall apart in the mean time...

there are 2 wheels that spin in opposite directions...
and a rudder that spins the wheel apparatus around...
to catch the changing direction of the winds...
and one of the spinning wheels on mine got shredded
because I stupidly forgot to bring it in one winter...

as part of my first day of clean up...
I had removed the shredded panels...
that had wrapped around the spindle...
keeping it from spinning at all...
and was resigned to watching the one faded wheel...
after I got it to spin again...

then yesterday...I found what was left of Mom's...
not thinking much of it, since only one wheel remained...
it wasn't until this morning that it occurred to me...
to make "1" from "parts of 2"...
and it worked... !



here you can see both wheels in place...
[and the one from Mom's isn't faded like mine...
I do so love intense colors...]



here they are... in action...
spinning in opposite directions...
I have really missed it...
I remember when I was recovering from surgery...
I used to lay in bed, look out the window...
and watch the wheels spin in the sunlight...

simple things amuse simple minds...
[I suppose...]
however you explain it...
it's good to have it "back"...

encouraged by my handy work...
I decided it was time to pot the ferns that had been lurking...
on the patio table for quite some time now...



here you see 3, very happy, small Australian Sword ferns...
finally in their new home...



moving around the table...the "heritage Maidenhair fern"...
it was my grandmother's for years... then my Mom's...
I didn't need to re-pot it, yet...
it has died back and returned many times...
it may be older than I am...
if it isn't...it's close...
[I have a sword fern on the front porch...
that is older than I am...]

next to the Maidenhair, is a neat little fern I found...
I don't know the variety...it's kind of like a sword...
but the frond sections have an oblong shape...
if anybody knows what kind it is...let me know...



this is an "Autumn fern"...
the frond shape reminds me of a combination...
of "monkey/rabbits" paw fern...
and the "sword" type...

*SIGH*

playtime now being over...
I reluctantly turned my attention to...
THE LEAVES...



which, oddly enough...
were right where I left them yesterday...
[I guess I should be happy...
that there wasn't a strong wind last night...]



trying to avoid a lot of extra effort...
I devised the "use a chair to hold the bag open" method...
which worked rather well...
causing me to have to clean up only a small amount of "spill"...



so after a lot of sweating & sneezing...
the pile was finally gone...



stashed in 4 garbage bags...
[now... I have to find my "extra bag" tags..]



and the big refuse tote of leaves/dirt/mulch...
is waiting to be spread in the garden...


sitting down to rest...
my next project was right in front of me...



a huge pile of stuff that belongs in the garage...
a bunch of potting stuff from the front porch...

and... MORE LEAVES....
with that pesky creeper winding it's way throughout...

this actually took the most time...
sorting... carrying...stacking...
storing away...throwing away...
and finally... after cutting away the creeper...
sweeping the leaves into piles...
[tomorrow...I'll "bag"...
I've sneezed enough for one day...
thank you, very much...]



here it is... clean...
my old coffee table and wooden chairs...
after I took this...
I put the newly potted ferns on the table...
they looked very happy...



same area, but from the gate...looking "in"...

and then... to the right...
the potting bench area...



it really pains me to say, I'm NOT half done yet...

*sigh*

but it is SO nice to be outside in this early fall weather...

No comments: