Friday, September 12, 2008

...taming the backyard, 1.0

I used to have regular help with yard work...
I've always been able to deal with mowing the lawn...
but I've never been good...
about keeping the leaves and debris cleaned up...
or trimming and hauling out stuff...

as the years have passed...
the physical pain has come to be a problem...
and in the last 2 years, since my helper left...
it's been even harder...

so when I decided to tackle the back yard...
it was no small undertaking...
but it has to be done..
and I can't afford to hire someone...

so this morning... I started in...



this is the first target area...
outside my bedroom, under the plum tree...
to the left is a raised planter box...
still sporting 2007 tomato plants & cages...
now, quite dead...

there are some small Japanese Maples in containers...
and you can see a number of wind chimes...
a bird feeder [empty] ...
and a bird bath...

a number of trellises, stakes...
empty cat food pans scattered by foraging critters...
and a lot of leaves...



on the right...
you can see part of a bird feeder I need to relocate...
and the corpses of 2007 bean & tomato plants...
[also in raised beds...]



this shot is from the dead bean vines...
looking back towards the house...
under the tree...


4 hours later...
[and a lot of effort you don't want to hear about...]




this is the under-the-tree area...
all the stakes, trellises & cages have been moved...
dead tomatoes and cages...
as well as leaves and hanging tree branches...
*gone*

the Japanese Maples have been relocated...
onto the raised area...[more sun...]
the bird feeder has been relocated to the raised bed as well...
it and the other bird feeders are now "filled"...
as is the bird bath...




the old bean vines & their stakes...

gone...



as well as the tomato corpses & cages...



here, in a wider shot...
you can see the relocated bird feeder...
and the cleaned off raised bed...

and where did all the debris go ?



I don't think much else will fit...

it will probably be after the next trash day[Thursday]
before I'm over all this exertion...

at least it's a start...

2 comments:

Mousie and Christy's Mommy said...

Congratulations, Catsinger! That was a lot of hard work! As someone who loves to look at a beautiful garden but really doesn't like to assist in making it beautiful, I know how much tiring work you did! Now take a deep sign and pat yourself on the back!

catsinger said...

...thanks M&CM...if only I wasn't too stiff & sore to reach my back...;)