Monday, September 8, 2008

...still waiting



it's Monday....

[insert explicative of your choice here...]

and I STILL don't know when the "project"...
will begin...


[them] "we'll call you"...

[me] "I need a day or 2 notice...
to get the cats collected and to the vet..."


[them] "oh... OK...
we'll call you..."

I had called them this morning...
to make sure that the tile guy knew...
that I wanted to save the old porcelain, inset "TP" holder...
[they are HARD to find...
and expensive...& I forgot to tell him...]

the old one is in perfect shape...
& will blend in with the new tile...
so I can't see spending $50-75 for a new one...
[a recreation...made to "look" old...
when... I already HAVE "old"...
thank you, very much...]

so... to pass the time...
I set up a list of chores...

I put a load of laundry in the washer...
but was out of detergent AND fabric softener...
so I started "digging"...

I found the Febreeze scented Downey quickly...
but the extra Tide...
because it's on the bottom shelf of the pantry...
was "buried" under some stuff on it's way out...

laundry finally "under way"...
I turned my attention to watering plants...
which led to filling...
my car's windshield washer reservoir...
I was going to get gas...
but the "water" pump is broken there...

I had a list for OSH...
so I headed north on my "full tank"...

I got a new tarp for my wood pile...
AND new bungee cords to secure it...
several cheap paintbrushes...
to use with the oil-based primer...

which I will be using on...
exterior bath window, French door window ext. trim...
and several other ext. trim places...
that need painting before winter...
as well as the ext. driveway light mount...
that REALLY needs to be repainted...

I have the ext. latex "Tudor Brown"...
"Navajo White" & "Chrome Green" already...

these are all pretty much touch-up projects...
[aka make sure that the bare wood is covered...]
but time consuming, none the less...
and spending time cleaning oil based paint...
from a brush with paint thinner is NOT my idea of fun...

I lost several expensive brushes last fall...
that didn't get cleaned soon enough...
so I'll just do the priming with "throw-aways"...

I also got a plastic drop cloth...
and some "furniture tacks"...
to seal off the doorway into the office...
during the dusty demo days...

just sanding the woodwork last fall...
left a coat of dust on everything...

I can only imagine what total destruction will do...

I found some chrome "clothes hooks"...
for the back of the bath door...

some "contractor's clean-up" bags [3 mil thick]

a couple of "cup" cat beds [on sale for $15]
[I guess my guilt is kicking in...]

a new white bath mat for the new shower...

"hammered brown" Rustoleum spray paint...
[for the fireplace screen & wood racks]

vanilla air freshener re-fills...
[I never can find these in a store...]

2 sink rack protectors [twin size]...
2 sink mats, bisque [twin size]...

AND... they had the pincushion size garden mums...

in 6 packs... !

I always end up having to buy the 4" pots...

so I got 5 6 packs....
[yellow, red, orange, brown & a white w/yellow center]

so I can re-fill the snail salad bar pot with mums...

AND put the rest in the empty driveway planters...

I almost bought "Johnny-Jump Ups"[purple/yellow/white violas]
my standard cool weather color planting...
[as soon as the portulacas fade...]
but controlled myself...
in this heat...
they'd die before I could get them in...

I still have a couple of mums from last year...
mixed in with the portulacas, etc...
hopefully, these small ones haven't been as "forced"...
as the bigger ones, which often die after the blooms fade...

so I check out and haul my stuff to the car...
as I'm putting the cat beds in the front seat...
a lady sitting in her car next to me remarks...
"someones got babies..."

so while I'm loading up, we have a conversation...
about our "rescued" felines...
[she has almost as many as I do...]
and how important it is to adopt "rescued" animals...

as I make my way home...
it's almost 1:30...
so I stop and treat myself to a Quiznos sub...
[double cheese (cheddar & provalone) melt...
with lettuce, tomato & red onion...
and a red wine vinaigrette...ummmm]

arriving home...I unload my car...
[NO phone messages... hummm...]

the kitties investigate the new nests...

there are a bunch of chores on my list...
but first...lunch...

and a nap...

2 comments:

Miz Minka said...

Somehow this reminds me of Peter Mayle's experience with the remodeling contractors at his home in Provence, France. When they said they'd be there "next Tuesday," it was always followed with "normalement," which meant something like: maybe in a couple of weeks -- or so. Guess it doesn't matter on which continent you live, contractors won't let themselves be rushed -- or pinned down as to when they'll make an appearance!

Hm, incidentally, Provence and California are on a similar latitude. Must be something in the climate that makes contractors unreliable...

Well, good things come to those who wait, eh?

catsinger said...

...I have nothing to add...[?!?!]
you said it all...

BTW... STILL waiting... :P