Sunday, September 7, 2008

...suspended animation

it has been "one of those weeks"...



where a lot gets accomplished...
but there is SO much more to do...

and you wait...



we had our first choir practice after church today...
organizing & preparing the music was time consuming...



but singing again...
with that wonderful group of gifted & sensitive musicians...
makes any meager efforts on my part, worth it...

our first Sunday service is next week...

when the rehearsal was over, about 12:15 or so...
I went home, ate a bit of lunch...
and took a very long nap...


after my nap...
I looked around...

the bathroom... is waiting...



already having had some work done...
it awaits the end of it's existence as heretofore known...

as I look at the partially demo-ed window...
with the new glass & hardware...
as well as the structural repairs...

I'm reminded of the night I spent in an SF hotel...
before my melanoma amputation surgery...

quite uncertain of my future...

acutely aware of the impending loss...
of my right thumb...
which was by now black-ish & numb...
and without a nail from the biopsy...

my right armpit/upper breast area...
was covered with felt pen marks...
["do NOT wash these off!"...]
marking the target lymph node...
making it VERY clear where to "cut"...

I'm glad that I didn't know then...
all the details of the vexations...
that would result from the surgery...
my recovery and rehabilitation...
and needing to learn to do so many things left-handed...

but through it all...
I felt at peace...
even in the "eye of the storm"...

God kept me safe and calm...
bringing me through all that...
and He will bring me...
safely & calmly through this too...

and... in case you think...
that comparing cancer surgery...
to a bathroom re-do...
is ludicrous...

I'll remind you that...

I have only ONE bathroom...

this is a dry rot/ bad floor repair...
it had to be done...
or the dry rot would spread...

NOT a cosmetic "make-over"...

there are at least 4 major sub contractors...
with a LOT of workers in & out...

the kitties will have to be "out" of the house
for at least the first 3-4 days...
[THAT... will be so strange for me...]

I HAVE to be home when they are there...
& they start work, EARLY...

I'm guaranteed a toilet at night...
but there will be NO shower for at least 4/6 weeks...
and probably no toilet during the day...
[I'll probably have to drive 2 miles to the church...]

and...

when you have "workmen"around all day...
you have NO privacy...
nor can you go anywhere...
or accomplish much of anything...

and finally....
I have known only a couple ...
of "tradesman people with a "Y" chromosome"...

EVER...

who were evolved enough to clean up after themselves...

hopefully, these guys are that evolved...





the LR/DR furniture...
has been moved to clear a wide path...
the rugs have been cleaned...
and are in storage for the duration...

the path will get wider...
as the "hour" of destruction is announced...

the porch will have to have...
most of it's "occupants" moved...

for at least the first few days...

the shady area by the wood pile...
in the now clean driveway...
where the old planter boxes are...
will probably work well for a few days...
for many of the smaller plants...
the biggest ones will just be shifted...


there are boxes with my "new" bathroom parts...
currently piled in the DR...

and there will be more...




the cats know...
that "something is going on"...

they don't know what...

but they can feel the atmosphere of waiting that is building...

so they've become more "clingy"...

and they are "watching" me...
looking for the change in schedule or behavior...
and hoping for the best...



I remember during the last few weeks...
that I had a right thumb...
"touching it"... being very aware of it...
knowing the time was short...
but that the separation was necessary...

and, as much as I've longed to "fix"...
my bathroom for 20 years...
I now find myself nostalgic...
knowing the time is short...
but that the change is necessary...

so... I wait...

No comments: