Saturday, September 6, 2008

...it was on sale...[aka Heigh,Ho clutter...pt 2]

so after relishing my newly clean driveway...
[aka,"blogging about it...WITH pictures..."]
I took myself to the grocery to pick up a "couple of things"...

I've been wanting THIS...



especially... since there was only one left in my 'fridge...

and it was on sale...
[I love Mexican Independence Day merchandising...]

besides...

[here it comes...]

after all the hot dirty work I've been doing...

I deserve it...


so I arrived back home, put away my groceries...

and then turned to the matter of the cookies...
that I had happily promised to make...
before I worked myself so hard these last 2 days...

but... since I've still got my mixer "out"...
[from another "project"...]
the hardest part will be staying awake...
while all 4 dozen bake...



Mom always said that she got the recipe from the oatmeal box...
[I checked...it's NOT the same...]
it's also NOT the same as the one from the raisin box...
[the red one...we always sold them our raisins...
so we always used "our" raisins...]

I've seen the one from my Grandma, which was from her Mom...
it has molasses & buttermilk...as well as lard...
and is, to say the least...
"vague as to instructions..."
["fast oven"(probably wood burning)...
a dab of this... a pinch of that...
a lot of assumed knowledge & procedure...]

so as much as I like "authentic"...
I don't need the guilt of feeding to my friends...
anything made with lard...

I often generously, "tweak" Mom's recipe...

of course...

I'm a "cook", not a baker...
I "tweak"...it's what I do...

[tweakus, ergo sum ?]

I use as many organic, whole food ingredients as possible...
adjust amounts AND ingredients...
and add a few other things...
[hee, hee, hee...]

so I had gotten out the recipe I use...
and had begun to assemble things...
when I realized that I would have to factor...
some "time" into my prep...

Mom always used Crisco or in later years, margarine...[yuck]
I don't keep Crisco on hand, don't really use it anymore...
and I'd NEVER bake with margarine...
so I had to get out butter... and leave it out for a while to soften...
so I can cream it easily with the organic cane & brown sugar...
then I have to add the room temperature eggs and beat well...

which meant that the eggs ...
would need some counter time as well...



here you see the most recent version...
of the recipe that Mom made in 1998...


and NO...

the peppers are NOT the reason...
that I was chuckling before...

the peppers [and the avocado] are for the beans & rice...
in the "Gladware" container...
underneath the eggs & butter...



this is a hint... as to the "hee, hee, hee" I had in mind...

no... I'm NOT soaking the raisins in rum...
but that is a terrific idea...

these are giant flame raisins...
very rich & intensely flavored...
like the old muscat raisins...
but without the big, nasty seeds...

and then...there are the dried cranberries...
NOT "craisins"...these are "au naturale"...
[unsweetened"...]

I probably won't mix them...
too diametrically different in taste...

so there will be some with raisins...
and some with cranberries...

but alas... none with nuts...

it would be overkill with this fruit...

so... now that I have some time to kill...
before I can start the cookies...

what to do...

well... there is a Giants game...

and I know JUST the thing to accompany it...



that last, icy cold Dos Equis...

mmmmm, dark beer....

No comments: