Tuesday, September 9, 2008

...der katzen und der haus maus or "How Much is That Mousie in the Window?"



ahhhh... sooo cute....

perhaps it is because my Chinese sign is the rat...
[so was Mom's...]
or maybe... because Mom collected "mice"...
[I always brought her one...from wherever I'd been...
wait... maybe that's why she collected them...hummm...
I'll have to think about that...but, I digress...]

I've always liked mice...

I refer to my cats as "mice"...
and have had more than 1... named Mouse...

being a country girl...
I've seen mice in the house...
they don't bother me at all...
mice...spiders... skunks...

just leave them alone...
they leave you alone...
[I absolutely DO NOT like snakes, however...]

but, again...I digress...

in my old house...
there a number of mouse entrances...
most notably the sash windows in my bedroom...
and the grand cat entry...
through the window "pet door"...

I used to have cats that kept not only the possums at bay...
but caught mice too...

the late Sumo would dispatch rats & mice...
and leave them on my bed as a love token...
but since he left us...
it's been, live & let live...
as far as Piglet & Fluff are concerned...
and possums are ignored completely...

last summer, I entertained an adventuresome young mouse...
who came in very late at night to eat cat food...
he came in from inside the window frame...
boldly scampered to the dry food...
grabbed a piece and stuffed himself...

all the while, Piglet was snoring lustily...
not 5 feet away...
while Fluff & Tippy were curled up in their beds...
dead to the world...

in a quiet voice...
so as NOT to wake the "mighty hunters"...
I told the "ballsy" little mouse...
that he'd better make himself scarce...
before "they" woke up...

he blinked his big eyes at me...
grabbed a chunk o'cat food...
for the road... and hopped back to the window...
scampering up the frame and back into to hole...

a few days ago... I knew one was back...
as Piglet was prowling the dresser...
pawing at the wooden boxes...
obviously "stalking" her prey...
who, of course, cloaked himself with "mouseness"...
and vanished... into thin air...

so.... this morning... after being RUDELY jerked...
from the respite of sleep...
by the Piglet, yowling & banging on the closed window...
SEVERAL times...

I wasn't really surprised to see a mouse...
caught between the screen[the door was closed...]
and the glass...


[there was only one...]

Piglet was having a complete hissy fit...
so I tapped on the glass...
and the mouse ran up the screen...
to the safety of the top window...
while I opened the glass...
to free the Piglet...

she dashed out...only to dash back in...



looking for the mouse...
on the floor...



behind her...



frustrated... she sniffed the window...
smelling "mouse"...
but finding nothing...



determined to find that mouse...
she looked out...where I had tossed...
the few bits of mouse "bedding" [aka insulation...]
and then decided...



to take her search outside...



so she took up her post...[I love a good stake out...]
& stayed for a good, long while...
[if you click on the picture...
you can see her...
looking up...
probably watching the mouse stick out his tongue...
and make rude noises...]

finally she left to find her prime nap location...

with "high-pitched" mouse laughter...
still ringing in her ears...

No comments: