Thursday, January 8, 2009

...sink plumbing, shower bench, old lino & odd bits



remember this ?



first, it became this...



then this...



almost there...



finally...the sink plumbing moved over & up...
and centered under the med. cab. opening...



early this AM, R framed-in the shower...



then the bench...



put up the supports...
[notice the cool black fingernail polish...]



framed in the top...



and finally left it to finish up tomorrow...

what I thought was tar paper under the old chicken wire/cement floor...
turned out to be OLD, cheap linoleum...
that started to pop off as we walked on it...



so G, the general, started pulling it up...



he'll get the rest later...as there is further prep to do on this floor...



one of those spots is dry rot that was under the old sink...
which I knew was leaking...I'm just glad that only this one board...
needs replacing in this part of the floor...
the entire bottom of the old vanity was rotted out...



as you can see, most of the old lino is gone now...



a really nice bit of news is that ALL the 2x4 studs in the walls...
are REDWOOD...good quality too...the big joists [2x8's] are heart redwood...
and the interior siding is cedar...that's why there is so little dry rot...
even though there was a bunch of water damage...



G picked-up a 3 ft grab bar to put in the shower...
he & R figured-out, with me, where I want it...
and will fortify the studs in those spots...
since I want to stay here, in this house, as long as I can...
this is a necessary thing...



R finally figured out how many 6x6 white field tile I need...
[bench, walls etc...] it's 136 sq ft [$253.45]...
so I called Daltile & G will pick them up tomorrow...
R will need them starting on Monday !

he's going to figure out how many white quarter rounds he needs...
and let me know tomorrow, so I can go get them...
as well as any other misc trim pieces...



I was digging through some boxes...
& found the knobs I got for the drawers...
it's way too soon to put them on, but it makes me feel good to see them...



here we have tomorrow's supplies stacked in the house...
backer board against the window...
greenboard[for the shower stall] against the table...
moisture barrier for floor & shower pan on the toilet box...
and fiberglass insulation for the exterior walls...

what you don't see...is the pile outside...
in the driveway, covered by plywood...
of bags of cement, bags of sand, craftpaper & wire...

yes folks...R, is "old school"...
he uses cement & chickenwire...
over greenboard in showers...

so tomorrow, he'll set the drain...
then create the shower pan...
after putting up backer board & greenboard...

all I know... is that he's planning...
to be tiling on Monday...

I can't wait...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

learned a lot