Monday, January 12, 2009

...a brief hiatus

"everything happens for a reason..."

I believe that...

so when G got the call this morning...
from J, the tile contractor, that R was sick...
and wouldn't be able to come to work today...
I wasn't upset...

yes.. I want this to get done...
but I'm NOT in charge of "things"...
so I'll let God be the "contractor" here...
and not be concerned about it...

so G & I chatted a bit & I found out that G...
not only went to Benjy HS on the "eastside" of Mudville...
he also attended the school I taught at...
when it was still a jr high, back in the 60's...

small world...

but then, finding out that G's an "eastsider"...
doesn't surprise me at all...
since most that I knew/know...
are/were the "salt of the earth" types...

really good, hard working folks...
who'd gladly help & were generous to a fault...

J arrived, still unable to find someone to work here today...
although he has 2 guys scheduled for tomorrow...
R to "float" [cement & wire, then thin set & tile...]
and one to assist by mixing the cement & thin set...

both G & J have both gone now...
but J is supposed to call me, to let me know...
if he'll be back to close walls...
or if we just need to wait...

this is what we have, "done", so far...









purple board, seams taped & mudded up on the shower walls & bench...
1st layer of tar paper & cement on the shower floor...

the tops of the walls & ceiling...




[no...the ceiling's not purple...just in shadows...]

we've left alone...

they will be filled-in where there are holes...
and eventually painted the same color as the trim...
[Benjy Moore "Cameo White" with mildewicide added...]

today's goals were/are to close the wall opposite the shower...




for this purpose, we have one full sheet of purple board left...



it's setting backwards here...trust me, it's purple...


on the "toilet wall"...



they need to set one more 2x4 stud & insulate the wall...
they will also remove the toilet...
screw down the floor tongue & groove replacements...
permanently "fix" the toilet flange...
and close that wall with purple board...

then put up "hardibacker"...



on the walls that will be tiled...
that are not in the shower...

it's the stuff against the window...
there's also some behind the purple board...
as it will go on the floor too...
but the floor will be the last to be done...

so I'm waiting to hear back from J...
if no one's going to be here to work today...
I'll get my plants watered with the outside hose...
go copy choir music at the church...
and visit my "herd" at the vet's...

it seems to be shaping-up to be a quiet day...
and with the amount of yawning I'm doing...
that may be a good thing...

No comments: