Saturday, January 31, 2009

...the light , on the ceiling of the bathroom

remember this ?



this was the cover of the light/exhaust fan in my bath...
the old, dirty, discolored & cracked in 2 places...
NASTY... light cover [aka "lens cover"]
which was nearly 20 years old and the model was discontinued...

so after fruitlessly searching for a replacement of the original...
I decided to see if I could find something at least close...
hoping against hope that the entire unit, which works just fine...
wouldn't have to be replaced [$$$]

I found a great website by searching "Broan parts"...
[www.RepairClinic[dot]com]
they specialize in "appliance parts" & offer free, "fixit" advice...

as soon as I realized from looking at their list of parts...
that "light cover" was really "lens cover"...
I found a page that helped me whittle down the search...
[ie : brand, size, material, shape etc...]

I ended up looking at 4 items[w/pictures]
one looked like my "lens cover"...
it was plastic, opaque, the right size...
AND it had tabs on the side just like mine...
and was less than $12.00...

so I ordered it...

I was hoping it would arrive yesterday, so G [who's tall...]
could just pop it in...but it didn't...

this morning, I heard a knock at my door...
and there it was...

I opened it eagerly...it looked just like the old one...
[without the dirt, discoloration & cracks that is...]

I got my step ladder, reached up...
and it popped right in, like a charm...

hmmm...another "coincidence"?...

methinks NOT, yet again...



I've tangled with the cover, changing light bulbs for years...
and always had a tussle...[that's why there's a CFL there now...]
I'm also guessing that the lower heat level of the CFL...
will prevent this one from cracking...

so at this moment, I'm really pleased with myself...



only one thing is annoying me...

the set of new "celadon green" towels I bought & just put out...
seem the wrong green...they seem too "lime", NOT "celadon"...

they were called "celadon" and in the box, after they arrived...
they looked right...[the DR's a different light]
but in the complex bathroom yellowish/natural/reflective light...
last night & early this morning...
they just looked wrong...way too neon...

of course, that was this morning & last night...
in total harsh, glaring light...
before I got & installed the lens cover...

it doesn't seem so bad now...
besides, they are almost the same color as my robe...
maybe I'll just take a pill or two...
& rest my not quite as sore hand...

maybe if I get my hand really mellow...
[& me along with it, not obsessing on the little things...]
I will see it as something that I can like...
[I love my celadon green chenille robe...]

& then, mellowed-out, I can do some of these chores...
the dishes, cleaning the 'fridge, laundry...
washing & making up my bed...
cleaning up the construction mess...
pruning the roses & a TON of yard work...

maybe it isn't the towel color at all...
'cause just reading all that made me tired...

onward & upward...

or, perhaps... a nap !

6 comments:

Mousie and Christy's Mommy said...

Catsinger, your bathroom is truly a thing of beauty. This Mr. G. is incredible and has certainly proved that with the right equipment you CAN "make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!" A what a silk putse it is! Your window is absolutely beautiful! You first shower is going to be SUCH a delight! Enjoy, Enjoy!

catsinger said...

..thank you...
hopefully, that first shower will be
next weekend...but then again...
it's NOT up to me...

The Calico Quilter said...

I think from the lighting in that picture the towels looked perfect. I know you want it perfect, but don't get obsessed on details like that. Step back and enjoy the beauty of the finished product. BTW, the compact fluorescents will definitely help on the heat yellowing of the fixture. I put them in every ceiling light because I was tired of climbing the ladder, but when I do have to visit them, I am amazed at how much cooler each fixture is with the new bulbs. Makes me think the old regular bulbs could start a fire, crammed up against the ceiling material like that. When do you see the ortho about your finger?

catsinger said...

...yes...I agree about the lessening of the "heat yellowing" effect...
unfortunately, I had already used 100W incandescent for a long time...thus messing up the fixture...
I also had to wait until the size of CFLs was reduced so it would fit...

my orthopedic appointment is at 9:30 AM tomorrow...it can't come soon enough...

how goes the kitty home search ?

The Calico Quilter said...

Kitty home search is on hold pending the "snip-snip" which by the call fron the vet was just completed. Now an "it-kitty", she will no doubt be more adoptable, and much easier to live with until then. As early as tomorrow, we will get some adorable pictures of her and start the onslaught of publicity at vets, shelters and pet stores. Fingers crossed.

catsinger said...

...good luck to you & kitty...if there was a way, I'd take her...my Frickie is fading...I'm so tired of "dying kitties..."
BTW just posted about my impending"boutonniere deformity reconstruction" surgery scheduled for Wednesday,9:30 AM...
I have an "acute" ruptured tendon injury... thank God for good orthopaedists... :D