Monday, January 26, 2009

..."Monday, part, le doux..."

I had trouble with my back door for years...

I've had it "re-hung", re-hinged, screws replaced...

everything I could think of...
but the result is always the same...
it closes easily for a while..
then sags...[there are cracks in the frame...]

I got around it by lifting it up to close it...
but now...with my sore left hand, that just doesn't cut it...

it's been raining... so I've let Molly out the back...
just pulling hard to get it shut...
and this morning... I saw the results...



the bottom is separating...
the left [hinge] side is much worse than the right...



but it's breaking too...



it's not hard to see the problem...





the screws are the longest ones that I could get...
the holes have been filled with wood & wood putty...
and then screws refitted...but nothing works for long...

the frame is cracked and it's just going to have to be replaced...
as well as the door...

fortunately...there's a contractor "about"...

$igh....

2 comments:

The Calico Quilter said...

Sometimes replacing a door is tricky. We finally replaced our hollow core front door (that a stiff wind could demolish) with a fiberglass solid core door about four years ago when we were roofing and painting and generally spiffing up the outside. I bought a prehung door, and shouldn't have. Should have just bought the door and hung it in the jamb. It was a real mess taking out my old "built from scratch" jamb and making the new one fit. The TV carpenters make shimming up and squaring a door frame look so easy--well, it isn't. The new door is maybe 95% right, but I have to push on it a little bit to lock the deadbold. A bit of an alignment issue. It's a small irritation in exchange for a much safer door, but I was so disappointed. Hope your door woes are more easily resolved.

catsinger said...

...there are some settling issues...but this has been nearly 20 years coming...& I think that G can get it done for me...'cause he IS one of those guys you watch on TV...
I've watched enough of his work now to trust his abilities...
and since it's obvious the frame is split...they will probably rebuild it, then hang the door...