Monday, January 19, 2009

..."the runnsies", Sneaky Pie style



today is "Day 19"... in the Reign of SPie...
as "supreme feline in all the world"....

[other wisely, quite well put by Calico...
"THIS is mine...& THIS is mine..." etc, ad nauseum...]

her "reign" has been fraught with various hazards for yours truly...
not the least of which is her absolute joy ...
in, what would be called, "tail chasing" by other, more "pedestrian felines"...
but in her case, has been raised to heights of frenzy ...
[& impending, catstaff bloodshed...]
heretofore unknown...at least to me...

when allowed "out"...into her realm...
from the prison...uhh, sanctuary of the bedroom...
[ie after the workmen are gone or it is the weekend...]
she makes her rounds, looking for subjects to "lord it over"...

finding none, she bosses quiet Charlie for a while...
and finding no real satisfaction there...
turns to me...a much more satisfying target...uhh, subject...
for ALL her myriad of catly attentions...

I've been treated to a LOT of abhorrent feline behavior over the years...
and not much surprises me anymore...but somehow SPie managed...

a couple of nights ago, she first did it...only for a few moments...
last night...it went on for quite some time...
[no blood has been shed...yet... but it's only a matter of time...]

she waits until I'm in bed...then it starts...

at first she's only "chasing her tail"...on top of me in bed...
she's very good at it...and must get annoyed when she bites herself...
because then she becomes like the Tasmanian Devil in the cartoons...
zipping around in circles on top of the bed...
attacking my feet [& anything else that moves...]

soon she's a furry silver-gray blur...

on top of the bed...under the bed...
around in circles on the bed...
stopping only to pounce on any part of me that moves...
escalating to climbing my, now cowering self...
as I'm trying to take refuge under the comforter...

faster & faster she speeds...

until I'm sure ...
that all I'll find is "tiger butter"when she's done...

finally winded...she pauses...wide-eyes flashing...
chirping her hunting song as she pants...
then off again, in a last flurry of pouncing, scurrying feints...
a couple more half-hearted nibbles at my toes...
and she flops down...

if I make the egregious mistake of stirring too soon...
she will be off again...and my toes will pay a horrible price...

if I let her doze off, I'm golden...
that is, until sweet Charlie comes to be petted...
at which point, she has to intervene, be petted, first...
& to receive proper respect from Charlie...

and only then... will she "settle in" for the night...
but right by my feet...so she can monitor my every move...

cats...

boy, will she have an unpleasant surprise when Thomas returns...
[he thinks it's HIS house...]

No comments: