Friday, January 2, 2009

...on the 9th day of Christmas

OK...so getting the "elephant out of the living room"...
right off the bat...



this is my dislocated[S-O-R-E] finger today...
the bruising is turning amazing colors...
and it DOES look crooked to me...
when it's in the splint [at night] it DOESN'T hurt...

when it's "out" & doing things...
it hurts to move it, but otherwise it's bearable...
[until I bump it, that is...]



so today, I had to do a bunch of things to prepare choir music...
for Epiphany [which starts next week...]
with Ash Weds. & Lent, not too far off...
[aren't we still doing Christmas ?...]
but I like to have things organized...
and I know that the choir appreciates it...



so with the church as my eventual goal...
I went by Discount Pet...
to get "supplies" for the impending "spa" visit...

I got a case of the medium sized cans of this flavor...
[their favorite...]

and a case of this in these smaller cans...
[their second favorite...the Fancy Feast girls will just have to "rough it"...]

and a small bag of each of these...
[also their "usual"...]

and a small bag of this...

for Molly...[her usual...]

I dropped them by the vets...
and picked up several cardboard carriers for Monday...
I will take Molly's bed & a couple of toys...
but no cat beds[not enough room]
they'll have beds there...

I swung by the church...
made working copies for the choir...
found several selections...
& took care of several things so I'm ready for Sunday...

after I arrived home, I started the "stew process"...
then spent some time doing elements sheets for church...
& sending choir-related e-mails, etc...

on a trip outside to the garbage can...
I noticed this...



the 3 formerly wilted pots of dill I "rescued"...
are thriving in their new home...
these are at least my 12th attempt to get dill to grow...
so now, when they should die, they grow...

in a grateful frame of mind...
I began to look for other "little blessings"...



and found this little marigold seedling...
flourishing in Mom's iris planter...
which I thought were goners last summer...

then I remembered the nice surprise I got at the grocery store...



I always get 5¢ credit for each one of these bags I use...
but a couple of days ago, they also gave me 5¢ credit for each of these...



the 2 handy yarn bags that Miz Minka made for me for Christmas...
she had mentioned the farmer's market...
I don't think she had planned on this...
that's really a great bonus...a gift that keeps on "giving"...

and then there's these...



the cyclamen that I finally replaced...
they are glorious...what a nice treat...



the johnny jump-ups are still gathering their strength for spring...
but several are braving the wind chill to smile at me...



as is the tiny asparagus fern I transplanted...



the the dying geraniums I rescued are blooming...
the most deep, vibrant red...



and the Christmas cacti are poised to burst into bloom...



and the old sword fern...in the antique pot...
[it was Grandma's & Mom's before it was mine...]
is happily reaching out to all the damp & cold...

inside...some unexpected good news...



my old ficus, that was dying, is sending out new growth...



as is the Maranatha plant I repotted...
after it became feline salad bar...



the stew [in an early stage in this photo...]
is now done...



the slow cooking green beans [seen here at the beginning]
are now several hours "in"....

but at this point a special blessing...
was finding that 3rd elusive bay leaf...
hiding in the almost done stew...
bay leaves can create funny tastes if left in too long...
and I had almost given up looking for it...
when there it was...



I have yet to make some mac n'cheese to bake off tomorrow...
and a couple of other "things" I want to do in the kitchen...
tomorrow, I'll tackle the LR and clean the bathroom...
[I say that like it'll take 5 mins...more like several hours...]
but the results will be worth it...

3 comments:

The Calico Quilter said...

Do your grocery baggers actually know how to pack the cloth bags? The grocery store people look at them as if they were a bug. And put three items in each and call it loaded. I have to patiently explain every time that they will hold lots more than the plastic sacks, and to keep on packing until you reach the top. When I go to the local Food Lion, which is understaffed, there never seems to be a bagger handy, so I sidle around the checkout counter and fill the bags myself. More organized, and easier than explaining and coaching.

The Calico Quilter said...

Oh, btw, that is a spectacular bruise. Hope it's beginning to feel better than it looks. You have been very busy so you must be healing. Or going "ouch" a lot.

catsinger said...

...Raleys, the store I frequent most often promotes the cloth bags...mine are 1 st generation... they now are into the 4th...they promote recycling everywhere in the store...& most of the time, the cloth bags are packed properly...I get "strange" packing as often in cloth as I do in paper...
and my finger is better, but I still say "ouch"[etc...] A LOT... ;D