Monday, August 18, 2008

...ummm...enchiladas

those of you who know me...
know that I enjoy cooking...
but since last fall...
I haven't been eating much myself...

it is a challenge to cook for one, however...
even if I cut my ingredients way down...
some things are like Topsy...
"they just grow..."

this culinary adventure is an example of that...



I started out to create my take on...
Dearest Dragonfly's
Divine Green Chicken Enchiladas...

I have made these as "Veggie Enchiladas"...
[just eliminate the chicken...]
but never before WITH chicken...

I prefer "green sauce" ...
because it's NOT as "HOT" as red sauce is...

besides that...I'm a "cilantro" junkie...

so as I proceeded to construct my enchiladas...
my intent was to make just what I could use...

a plan that ALWAYS backfires...



as you can clearly see...

but they are GOOD !
[as you can also clearly see...
by the obvious void in the pan...]

Catsinger's Green Chicken [or Veggie] Enchiladas
[with a hat-tip to Dearest Dragonfly]

1 10-pac[this one had 11...] fajita size flour tortillas
{you can stretch this filling over 12-15 tortillas,if you have them...}
[you can also use corn....I like flour...]
1 28 oz can medium green enchilada sauce +
1 jar of the same [I like Las Palmas]
1 lb cooked chicken, chopped [I like boneless,skinless breast]
[meat is optional and cooked beef, pork or turkey can be "subbed"]
1 can cooked black beans, RINSED & well drained
1 lrg can sliced black olives, drained
1 16 oz container FRESH Pico de Gallo
[chopped cilantro,onion,tomato & a bit of jalapeno]
you could use canned salsa...
or chop up your own "pico"...
6-8 C shredded cheese [Mexican blend or a combo of...
Monterey Jack, Cheddar & any Mexican cheeses...]
1 C chopped cilantro
1 bunch chopped green onions[green & white parts]

preheat oven to 350 F...

use 2 standard size casserole pans...
or 1 really big one...

mix together in a large bowl...

the chicken or other meat [cooked, chopped or shredded]
the black beans, RINSED & DRAINED
the olives, drained
the pico de gallo or salsa
2 cups of shredded cheese
28 oz can of green enchilada sauce

fill each tortilla with 2 big spoonfuls...
roll up, place in baking pan...

when all tortillas are filled...
spoon any left over filling over enchiladas...
cover with jar of green sauce...
sprinkle 2-3 C shredded cheese over each pan full...
or the rest over the large pan...

bake, uncovered, at 350 for 40 minutes for 2 regular pans...
or for 1 hour for one large pan...

remove from oven, let sit for 15 minutes...

garnish with chopped cilantro & green onion...
[more olives if you wish...]

[a dollop of sour cream on top of each serving...
is nice too...]

disclaimer...these are NOT HOT...
if you have to have your mouth on fire...
you'll need to add your own HEAT...


serve warm...

enjoy...

[especially good with a cold Dos Eqquis Amber...]

nota bene...

if making this recipe without meat, use 2 cans of black beans...
along with a couple of cans of corn[or a bag of frozen...]
you can always add chopped bell peppers, zucchini, etc...
and you can, of course use red sauce instead of green...

POST SCRIPT...

I managed to entice UnklePhil with the extra pan...

enjoy them, you two...

No comments: