Tuesday, August 26, 2008

...the turning point



although it's still technically "high summer"...
and we expect triple digit temps for most of this week...
something is changing...

there is a change in the light...
and the air...



I haven't heard or seen migratory birds yet...
but the chill dawn breeze that just caressed me...
tells me it's happened...



that moment when summer turns her carefree face...
towards the necessary duties of the rapidly descending fall...
and the stark realities of winter needs...
with it's biting wind and dampening chill...



I remember, as a college student...
being gone a couple of weeks...
and on my return, realizing it had happened...

and like a small child, trying to get a glimpse of Santa...
I've watched for it each year...

I've observed the fullness of summer...

walking through a garden, in full-on "grow"...
the scent of tomato & bean vines, in the hot sun...
the intoxicating scent of tasseling corn...
creeping into my bedroom...

bringing me to the window...
just to "absorb" the garden ....
still warm from the day...
but now, shimmering in the light of the full moon...
so alive... the level of "activity" palpable..

I could almost hear the plants growing...
feel the energy of the earth being sucked up...
and pushed out into leaves and fruit...
releasing a joy into the waiting night...
a celebration of what Eden must have been...
when God first created it...

but... even though I've watched...
I've never seen "the moment"...

perhaps...it's not a moment we can ever capture...

one we can only identify in retrospect...

but I still hope...
that if I can learn to live more, in the moment...
that maybe someday, I'll see it...
recognize it... as it's happening...

hopefully... it won't be like the moment...
when a child realizes why...
he's never been able to catch a glimpse of Santa...



after all... I already know...
that my Father makes the seasons change...

No comments: