Friday, August 15, 2008

....better than a list

I love it when a plan just "comes together"...

my reaction to signing my bathroom redo contract....
AND writing out a deposit check for $1000.00...
was to go to Loewe's after dropping the contracts/check...
into the correct box at the USPS substation...

the really nice guy who had installed my RO water filter...
in January, 2005... in the kitchen...
had been here a couple of weeks ago to replace the cartridge...

he came all the way from Ahnoldtown...
something he does NOT do any longer...
because I couldn't find a local vendor...
who would do the job...
and for $30 more, he stopped by on an "outing"...
just to help me out...

while changing the cartridge, he noticed that my faucet/sprayer...
was leaking under the sink when I used the sprayer...
it was new in 2005 and I got it from Loewe's, on sale...
and being a Moen, works pretty well...



the problem is the plastic fitting in the sprayer...
it leaks down the hose because it is plastic...
like the faucet itself...
which I bought because it matches my sink ...
and because I like the style of faucet/sprayer...
with a l-o-n-g hose for plant watering...
coffee maker filling... all the usual...
[OK... it was also cheaper ...]



since I had it before I got the sink...
I got a sink that had the correct openings for it...
using what would usually be the sprayer opening...
for the RO water filter faucet...

so when Mr Nice Water Filter Guy told me ...
that I should consider replacing the faucet with a metal one...
I listened... knowing that he had no reason to "sell" me...
and as he remarked, "you have really good water pressure...
the leak will only get worse over time ..."

since I liked the basic design and "package" of my faucet...
and any replacement would have to be pretty close to what I have...
in order to "fit"in my sink without drilling holes...
and since "a little voice" had said
to my "thrifty Scot side"...[aka "cheap"...]
"you'll be sorry ....
if you don't spend the extra $40.00 for the stainless steel one"...
back in 2005...

I've been "looking"...

I went to Loewe's today to look at replacement windows...
and found out that what I REALLY want...
is to have the existing one repaired...

I like the trim...
and after having the sash cord replaced...
and the loose members tightened...
it should be fine...

my current plan is to find ...
a piece of stained glass for the top...
and obscure the bottom...
[re-frost or ... ?]

this will also solve my "window treatment" dilemma...

so while I was wandering around...
after picking up some petunias for the front porch...
OK,OK... AND some alyssum... AND more portulacas...
[they didn't have any lobelia...
"Crystal Palace" is my weakness... ]
I wandered down the faucet aisle...

and... there it was...

high up...with similar types...
from several brands...
including a plastic one like mine...

the one I wanted...



ALL the others were too contemporary, or shiny...
the one I liked, was the only Moen in that style...
in stainless steel...all the others were chrome...

my bath "metal" is chrome...
my kitchen has black & stainless appliances...
with copper accents...
but I didn't want a copper faucet...
and the other choices were bright brass and bronze...

since the faucet is directly opposite the stove...
which is black and stainless steel...
this would be, "just right"...

so I found the code numbers...
and started looking for the bin...

and, there it was ...right in front of me...

not only that... there was only one box...

there were several similar ones in chrome...
they had multiple boxes in stock...

but in stainless... there was only the one...

it was also the most expensive... [sigh]
at $148.00...



I put it in my cart... very grateful to have found it...

so deciding to "press my luck"...
I went looking for a new toilet seat...
the one I have is about a year old...
but it has bright brass hardware...
and my new bathroom NEEDS a new toilet seat...

it didn't take long to find them...
AND... there was a round, light oak one with chrome hardware...
only $20.00... and since there were a couple in the bin...
I checked the grain, and found one with "tight" graining...



less than this picture shows... more like maple...

all in all... a pretty profitable trip...

interesting, that the one thing I went to see...
was the one thing I didn't buy...
but in NOT buying, will save $$$...
and I found just what I wanted...

of course... the enemy marshaled his forces ...
as I tried to use the "self check-out"...
"unknown item in bag area... remove unknown item"...
followed by...
"item removed from bag area... replace item..."
followed by...
"unknown item in bag area...remove unknown item..."
followed by...
[you get the idea...]

until the clerk took pity on me ...
and reset the @#$@#%@ machine...

after all that...
I almost forgot to pay for the toilet seat...
but saw it, just in time...

not the "perfect shopping trip"...
but as good as it gets for me, right now...

No comments: