Sunday, August 10, 2008

...one lucky cat


["Lucky Cat"]

early Friday morning...around 4 AM...
I became aware of "clunking" sounds outside...
as I listened... and became more awake...
I realized that it sounded like someone...
was trying to to open one of my windows...
from the outside...

since I live alone...
and the kitties can't open the old double hung,
wood frame windows... with broken sash cords...
I was understandably frightened...

I put on my robe...
and turned on the bedroom lights...
I didn't hear the scurrying departure sounds...
of a would-be intruder that I had feared...
but I still heard the clunking...

I walked into the hall...
then the office turning on lights as I went...
noticing a bevy of cats...
reacting to the same clunking I was...

I stood in the office, window open...
listening... nothing...
then... as I turned off the light...
I heard it again...
it seemed to come from the bathroom...

I flipped on the light and looked in...



there was Cagney... in the window...
between the glass...which had been open...
and the screen... which is wired shut...


[I didn't make her stay trapped while I took pictures...]

that window sash cord has been broken for years...
and since I need the ventilation...
especially at night...

and the kitties LOVE to lay in the sill...

I have a piece of 1" x 2" that I use to prop the window open...
I jam it into the window track, so it won't get knocked over...
because that window is heavy...
and would fall like a guillotine blade...
on any unsuspecting cat who knocked the support loose...

but that must be exactly what happened...
she must have knocked the support out of place...



the clunking that I heard...
was trapped Cagney... rattling the loose window...
trying to get out... she didn't even cry...

Friday... 08/08/08 is considered by the Chinese...
to be the most fortunate day in this entire century...

it certainly was for Cagney ...
who emerged from her ordeal...
not only unscathed... but non plussed as well...

as soon as she had a drink...
and I was sure that she was unharmed...
she hopped right back up into the window...
and went back to sleep...

a very lucky cat...

God is good indeed !

No comments: