Monday, August 4, 2008

...notes from "beyond"



"Kitchen Prayer"

"God bless my little kitchen,
I love it's every nook...
and bless me as I do my work,
wash pots and pans and cook.

As we partake of earthly food,
the table for us spread.
We'll not forget to thank Thee,
Who gives us daily bread."

[author unknown]


among the artifacts I've "unearthed"...
in the archaeological dig that is my office clean-out...
is this decorative cutting board...
which, until the makeover in 2004-5...
hung in my kitchen...

somehow... it never made it back after the remodel...
[it was not alone in being "lost"...under piles of junk...]
I found it yesterday...
and happened to see the back of it today...



the sticky note, in Mom's handwriting...
reconnected me with the past...
Grandma died in 1970...just before Easter...
Mom just last year... in January...

[click on the picture to see it bigger...
and you'll be able to read her note...
even at 90+...her years of teaching penmanship
to 3rd graders made her handwriting very legible...]

written as she cleaned out her life long home ...
her sadness at the impending move, obvious in her tone...

I hate to admit that I had forgotten it's significance...
the connection to generations before me...
a reminder of my family that is now gone...

I'll be finding a spot for it in my kitchen...
tacky though it may be...
it is "family"...

No comments: