Thursday, January 14, 2010

...in deepest winter, harbingers of spring

yesterday, the fog burned off & the sun appeared...
we'd had such a stretch of cold gray days...
that even I, who love cold & gray, went out to enjoy the sunshine...
feeling the onset of "click-click fever", I took my camera...



rounding the corner, I was rewarded for years of waiting...
the 2 plum trees that are always the last to drop their leaves...
and the first to bloom in the "spring"...
[sometimes even in late December if it's been sunny & warm...]
had finally dropped all their leaves, but had not yet "burst forth"...

I've been trying for years to catch them in this state...
[bare branches, without blossoms...]
so I happily captured the moment...



as I got closer, I realized that I had "just made it"...
as the branches of the red leaf plum were covered with swelling buds...
already showing the light pink that I only enjoy on blossoms...
perhaps even today, there will be open blooms...

so I had "click-click fever", just in time...



the older plum with white blossoms still has not begun to show...
it always follows the red leaf in budding & leafing out...
but precedes it in leaf drop...
[amazing what you come to learn when you live somewhere over 20 years...]



about a month ago, this new[planted last summer...] apple tree...
still had a couple of leaves...
now it's bare & leafless...



but it's buds are just beginning to show some swelling...
and the promise of new life is affirmed...

No comments: