Tuesday, January 12, 2010

...following "orders"



a few weeks ago, God told me that I was to expand my role...
in the ways that I was serving Him...

I had been exploring becoming licensed as a Lay Service Leader...
and or a Lay Eucharistic Minister since last summer...
and have since discussed the subject with Fr.TB...
so that's in the works for the near future...

the other path that God confirmed for me was one I'd long considered...



becoming a member of The Daughters of the King...

this is an order of lay Episcopal women who take a lifetime vow...
to live, as God grants the ability, under the Rule of the Order...
which is to daily pray for their Sisters, their church & its priests...
the poor, the sick, the needy & any prayer requests made to the Order...
the additional rules include service, study of the Word & evangelism...

after spending a 3 month period in prayer & preparation...
the vows are taken in a public ceremony during a church service...
at that time, the symbol of the Order, a cross, is presented...
it is to be worn at all times...

upon the death of the member, it may be buried with them...
or permanently affixed to the burial marker...
failing either of those choices, it returns to the Order...

so on Saturday, I attended my first DOTK meeting...
and I knew that my leading was correct...
I did belong here...
but had some unsettling news...

the same internal dissension & disagreement...
over some basic Christian beliefs...
[that Jesus is THE Way to salvation, not,"a" way... to be specific]
that has caused us to become Anglican, aiming for orthodoxy...
and caused a split with the Episcopal Church...
has infested DOTK too...

and the "national Episcopal hardliners" have made it clear...
to DOTK chapters located in the "Anglican dissenters"...
that they are going to be "deleted"...
[never mind that our chapter predates the Episcopal Diocese...
that we left...our church is nearly 160 years old...]

so some DOTK chapters in the East have reorganized themselves as...
"Daughters of the Holy Cross"...
intended to be an Anglican version of DOTK...

DOHC has been in existence for years as a Catholic order...
and since Anglicans are really, English Catholics...
it seems reasonable...



so we will be exploring a "re-organization" as DOHC too...

don't get me started on the stupid, selfish things humans do...
in the name of religion...

but under whatever organizational name I take the vows, DOTK or DOHC...
I know that God has led me there and I will be pleased to be,"in His service..."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mrs us300joe
I was just accepted in the Altar Guild in Phx.. I am learning alot.. I have also thought about the DOTK.. Its a shame that issues divide this group too. After all we are all God's children

catsinger said...

...hi L... since we already left ECUSA, I suppose this split is to be expected...
though for the life of me, all the apparent need for expressions of consternation & hubris towards the Anglicans, escapes me...

Mousie and Christy's Mommy said...

Catsinger, our Diocese now has a strong order of DOHC. Last Saturday our Bishop instituted the Order at a beautiful Mass at the Cathedral where over 50 women representing 9 Chapters were admitted and installed. It is a shame this split had to occur but at least there is a place for Anglican women in the DOHC! I am a DOK but will be sending in my membership papers to become a DOHC. Blessings to you in this endeavor to follow the Lord's leading in your life!

catsinger said...

...thanks for the info M&CM, in these troubling times where a lot seems upside down, we must all find that safe haven...