Tuesday, July 1, 2008

...the long good-bye


this is Robbie...about 2 months ago...
he'd just returned from a vet visit & a bath...
his blood work was all good...
he had his teeth cleaned...
and got a steroid shot for the arthritis & itching...

he was getting skinnier...
seemed to be losing his hearing...
couldn't seem to find the cat box...
but had a good appetite...

his continuing non-use of the litter box...
over the last 2 months have caused me to cover
my formerly new rugs with puppy training pads...
and purchase a "Spot Bot" rug cleaner...
[which works well on pet "spots...]


the "array" of training pads...in several places...
[as observed here by Sneaky Pie...]
helps only when he "hits" the mark...or pad...
often he misses...or moves a pad in "covering"...
then goes where the pad was...

it is a nasty thing to have to clean-up several times a day...
especially when "new" locations are chosen...
[ie...on the small rug in front of the door]
that I don't see ... until it's too late...
and then track "it" around before I notice what I've stepped in...



but... every day, he's thinner... like Bubba...
poor Bubba was young... only 9...
and they couldn't find anything wrong...
but he wasted away anyway...
and died last August...



Robbie's 19... he's had a good, long life...
and he'll be gone soon...
I don't think he'll make it through July...
so I'll keep a close watch on him...

he's so thin now that I can feel all his bones...
even on his head...
I'm NOT looking forward to taking him to the vet
that last time... but I won't let him suffer...

until it's time...and he'll let me know when...
they always do...
I'll pet him... and talk to him...
and make him soft beds near me...
and prepare him a resting place in the garden ...
for later...

No comments: