Wednesday, July 30, 2008

..."basin'" my design on this



I LOVE this basin...
[by Pegasus... oh, be still, my heart...
I am SO smitten...]

it is beautiful...
at 22.5" wide...[>2" wider than my current lavatory...]
and 16.5" from the wall...[<1" LESS than the current lav...]

it is elegant... has an 8" center faucet assembly...
comes ONLY in white...and costs $1,000,000...
[just kidding...actually...about $340.00 from HD online...]

a statement piece, if ever there was one...
more "art"... than functional "fixture"...
evoking a bygone era ...when style was everything...
when men wore fedoras & trench coats...
and hope sizzled in the air...
even for the "world weary"...

my faucet choice...[in chrome... VERY period...]

with the porcelain "hot"/"cold" labels...
a "mere" $230.00 from Restorations...
a perfect style compliment for the basin itself...

and of course...
I had to find a complimentary shower head/faucet set...
[there will be NO tub... "period" shower only ones are harder to find...]



this American Standard set appears very similar to the basin faucet set...
[I MAY swap out the head, if I get the urge...]
and is only $150.00...
in chrome... of course...

then... since I have to replace the toilet...



this Kohler one compliments the style of the basin...
[squared-off base, deco lines...]
is 17" high...has advanced water conservation features...
is available in white...and is just $240.00...
and does come with a chrome flush handle...
but no seat...which is OK with me...

I am partial to wooden seats...
and will gladly purchase a "round" one...
since this toilet is NOT the "elongated" style...
[round is more "period"...]

why not just purchase the one designed to go with the basin ?
it is very $$$ [$550.00]...
and has a flush "button" on the top...
I can just see, or hear, it now...
all night long as kitties jump up and down...
"flush, flush, flush..."

the same company makes a complimentary style...
without the flush button....
but I can't find it in white...
or if I can...only the tank is available...
not the bowl .... [?]
and everything they make is EXPEN$IVE !

no...
the Kohler will work nicely...
it has less "bells & whistles"...
and is, "less $$$"...
but who needs "b & w" from a toilet ?

which brings us to the medicine cabinet...
my current recessed, monolithic, unframed, giant mirrored one...
has always seemed to me to be "out of place"...

THIS...

will do nicely...

also recessed...
but matches my existing door and window trim...
also from Restorations...
a mere $130.00...
primed, ready to paint...
with chrome hardware...

if I can find a complimentary simple shelf unit...
to hang on the wall...
I probably will...

there are ALWAYS necessary "accessories"...
and these, from the Kohler "Memoirs" collection...
[ the toilet is also from that collection...]
in chrome, would work nicely...



the biggest problem here is that this stuff is EXPENSIVE !
this set costs $519.99...
and includes a couple of pieces I don't really need...
[a "robe hook", "towel ring" & TP holder...]

if I get the shelf, or 2...[at $179.00 each...]
and a towel bar or 2...[at $129.00 each...]
and the TP holder...if my ceramic one gets broken...[at $97.00 !]
that's almost the same total cost...

so these items are still being "considered"...
but these are "finish" items...
and can wait for purchase...

I LOVE shopping online...

all of this took me about 1.5 hours to find ...
online...
I spent most of a day walking through showrooms...
as well as the "mega home stores"...
and saw NONE of this...

after talking to the contractor...
I have ordered all this stuff...
[that took only 15 minutes, since I bookmarked my choices...]
and along with all the tile I've ordered...
my LR/DR will soon resemble a bathroom warehouse...

[I'm having flashbacks of 6 months of range & cabinet storage...
not to mention over a year of "furniture in boxes"...
and months of painting/cleaning supply storage...]

but I'd rather have it here... waiting...
than have to postpone installation...
waiting for delivery...
a smart homeowner does NOT mess with contractors schedules...

now... I just need to hit the Lotto to pay for it all...

2 comments:

DearestDragonfly said...

beauty is irresistible...even in bathroom decor. You have chosen so artistically and inspirationally.

Extremely well done!

catsinger said...

thanks DD... it seems strange to "love" a sink...
but to me, it is art... I'll have an accessories post on 8/03... more beauty in bathroom decor...
and ...spending money is SO fun...
if you choose NOT to think about the bills coming...
fortunately... I can "compartmentalize"...
not very responsible of me... but SO much fun...