Monday, July 7, 2008

"...as Kansas in August"



it's that time of year again...
fresh sweet corn was 5 for $1.00 at the market...
I know...I could go to the farmer's markets...
but this corn is grown locally for this local chain...
and is always good !

it's been $ .69 each...or 2...or even 3 for $1...
and I waited... and I'm NOT sorry...
I have lived where you could have the water "boiling"...
and then pick & shuck the corn...just before "the plunge"...
cooked that way...even field corn was good...

I have eaten sweet corn...
uncooked and unadorned...
grown in my garden...
while standing in my garden...

I have also lived in Illinois...
been to county fairs in the summer...
gone to a booth set up on the edge of a corn field...
where I saw loads of fresh picked corn ...
brought to the booth... straight from the field...

there the husk was shucked back & held onto...
for a "brief" dunk in boiling water...
then a dip into melted butter...

before having the husk swaddled in napkins ...
and thrust steaming,,,and dripping butter...
into my waiting hand...and mouth...
the most sublime corn I ever ate...



so yesterday... after selecting my 5 ears at the market...
[at the store... I always pull back the husk ...
to check for "protein sources"...
disease... or under/over maturity...]
I came home to prepare my feast...



I pulled out my 6 qt Le Creuset stockpot...
added about 3 - 4 inches of water...



inserted my steamer...
covered it...
and turned the gas to high...
as I put the rest of my groceries away...

when I heard the lid start to rattle...
I shucked the corn...



broke the ears in half...
and put all 10 pieces into the steamer basket...
replaced the lid...
and turned the gas off...

a few minutes later... I sampled one...
[they were cooked in 5 minutes...]
sweet... tender... nice "tooth"...
not overcooked or starchy...
perfectly done...
didn't even need butter or salt...

this works perfectly every time...
the "passive steam" method....
it's as close as I can get ...
to that "Illinois"county fair taste...
this side of the Mississippi River...

I generally eat butter very sparingly these days...
and with this product...
I can get as much buttery goodness as I want...
and STILL fight trans fats... and all those bad things...
[it really is good...and good for you...]



so the next time you're feeling "corny"...
["...as Kansas in August..." ]
try it cooked the Catsinger method...
it is actually quicker...
and... oh...so tasty !

No comments: