Tuesday, July 29, 2008

...more "de-tiles"



regular readers may remember these pictures...
taken at Bedrosian's Tile Showroom in Mudville...



having found my celedon green half round pencil trim there...
I came home... measured... let things "steep" a bit...
and returned today to order the green trim...
and explore all my other options...

so after ordering 30 trim pieces...[$$$]...
being the full service store that they are...
they referred me to a competitor's store...
because it was that brand that I had samples of... from HD...
and wanted "other" sizes, styles, etc...
and they didn't carry it...



so after getting quite lost on the "east side"...
[I DID teach there for over 20 years... and got lost then too... ]
I stumbled onto it in an industrial park area on my way home...
["you can't miss it... right next to 99..."
not the worst directions I've been given...but close...]

a very nice sales rep. looked at my samples...
showed me everything else that was available in black & white...
told me what had to be ordered and what was in stock...

she found me a 2" x 6" full bullnose cap in black...
[not available at HD...]
and a 3" x 6" subway style tile in black ...
to use around the base of the wall...
[ HD availability also zero...]

then she found me hexagonal floor tiles...
both 1" and 2"...with "dots"...which I don't like...
and without...which is traditional...
and I have always wanted...

the 1" ones are a bit "busy" for my taste...
[though, they are the most traditional...]
but, I really liked the white [no dot] 2" ones...
which come in 12" x 12" sheets...

[these on the right...in all white...
are like what I chose...]

so she called to find out details...
and found that they have been "discontinued"...

the sales rep told a very disappointed me...
that they had only 33 sq ft left at the warehouse...
and I had been figuring about 48 sq ft...

then I realized that I could do the shower floor in the 1" tile, if I had to...
there are "built-ins" taking up floor space ...
and... I could always do a border on the floor...
I did have to buy more of the 3" x 6" black than I needed...
so I would have plenty for a floor border...

this kind of math problem ALWAYS gives me a headache...

but having the option of extending borders...
is like a "get out of jail free" card...

so I'm thinking "positive" thoughts...
and am grateful that I pursued this stuff today...

so I had her call back the warehouse ...
and tell them that I wanted the 33 sheets that were left !
while she was at it...I ordered the black caps...
and the black & white 3" x 6" subway tiles I couldn't get at HD...
as well as the flat 1/2" x 6" black trim sticks...

after all... it's only $$$...

so what if I've now spent almost $ 1000...
and haven't bought the field tile yet ?
that will probably be the cheapest part...

the contractor will be surprised...
he wanted 6" x 6" tile on the floor...
but I LIKE this 2" hexagon...
and they come in 12" x 12" sheets...

as an example of my non-math brain...
she was telling me that there were 33 sheets...
she had already told me the sheets were 12" x 12"...
so then I ask her, " how many square feet that is..."

doh....

in my defense... I realized how stupid that was...
as soon as I said it...
she probably looked at my grey hair ...
and considered it, "normal"...

2 comments:

DearestDragonfly said...

Your choices are wonderful! I also love the octagons. Way cool.

catsinger said...

our original timetable is, of course, now way off...
the first couple of days will be "an amazing mix of demo, destruction and floor/dry rot repair... so I'll attempt to remove MOST of the kitties to "chez vet"...
spending yet, MORE $$$...
but hopefully sparing them stress...