Monday, July 28, 2008

...ummmm, beer



I like my beer the same way I like my coffee...
straight... dark... and STRONG !

no limes... no fruity flavors...[ie raspberry...]
no watery "California Kool-Ade" ...
leaving a sour taste in my mouth...

just as I like double espressos, straight up...
I love stouts & porters...
and though using a glass will allow you to admire the color...
I prefer to drink from the bottle...
[I know... I'm a barbarian...
that's just the way I "roll"...
I don't use straws for other drinks either...if I can avoid it...]



my first "walk on the dark side" happened during college...
someone went on a beer run...
and returned with Anchor Steam...

quite a change from the pale lagers...
and I was hooked...
I still drank whatever I could get...
until I could buy my own...
but now, I had a "favorite"...

I still remember smuggling Coors "east"...
before the marketing area expanded...
but that was more about picking up some cash...
from all the mid-westerners ...

they would pay anything for Coors...
then I turned around and bought Strohs...
["fire brewed" in Milwaukee...]
still a lager... but darker... with flavor... !

my default beverage of choice for years has been....

it's GREAT with all kinds of food...
far better than that pale watery stuff...
for me ... it's always about the flavor...
getting "buzzed" hasn't been the goal since college...
when we drank whatever we could get...

[I've even been known to drink O'Doule's amber...
or Killian's Red... both non-alcoholic ...
they taste pretty good... especially with food...
and I really have substance abuse fears...
since I can be compulsive...
and don't need to add "drunk"...
to compulsive collector, clutterer, gambler and food abuser...]

when given the chance, however...
I always choose a porter... or a stout...
a meal in a glass...

since I know my compulsive tendencies too well...
to allow myself to "drink" alone...
[very often, anyway...]
I rarely get the chance these days...
to "indulge" in my favorite...
first tasted in a London pub... appropriately warm...

it was "love at first sip"...
[or "chew" as I remember characterizing it...]


[ I have a 4 pack I need to use...]

maybe someday...
I'll be in a place where I can indulge without fear...

until then... I'll have my occasional Dos Equis Amber...
and quote Homer Simpson...

"ummmmmm ... BEER !"

DARN !

it's empty already...

*sigh*

4 comments:

unklephil said...

If you can find it, you might like this!

catsinger said...

...I've not met too many "darks" that I DON'T like...
that's the problem...I have NO problem "finding" ones I like...

DearestDragonfly said...

Wow. A real beer drinker. Impressive!

When Summer went to Ireland for a college semester, she learned to drink Guinness -- and to truly enjoy it.

Sadly and Sheepishly, I admit to liking Beer Lite.

catsinger said...

my goal in imbibing is to maintain a level of moderation while achieving maximum flavor...
in other words...
much LESS beer...
but much BETTER beer...
anyway...that's my story...and I'm sticking to it...