Tuesday, April 1, 2008

...too many years spent with 7th & 8th graders

blog readability test



I suppose it was inevitable...
I "dumbed myself down"...

interesting...that I should post this, today...
I always told my students,
"Today [April Fool's Day...]
is your day...
dedicated to all jr high kids...
everywhere...."

some smart kid would "get it"...
and say, in an annoyed manner...
"ha,ha...very funny"...

ironically...
I ALWAYS used "rich" vocabulary
with my students...
and consistently taught my students
"new" words they could actually say
in front of their parents without fear...
perhaps, even teaching Mom & Dad a new word...
[my students always thought that was cool...]

of course, having taught English and reading,
I know how reading levels are determined...
you count the number of syllables in 100 words...
you also count the number of words in sentences...

the more syllables in the 100 words...
the more words in the sentences[showing complexity...]
the higher the "reading level"...

I switched to a more "poetic style" format
a while back to improve
the readability of my posts...
about the same time that I was encouraged
to make the font larger...
for pretty much the same reason...

when I return to the those
"thrilling posts of yesteryear"...
before the format change...
I find them harder to read
and am always glad I made the switch...

I also notice the sheer volume of verbage...
when fonts are smaller...
and lines are wider in other blogs...
it can be daunting...

of course, the quality of fine writing
in many of the sites I visit
that use a more "traditional prose" style...
is not altered by it's format...

I guess I just like my style...

so, now that I've tried, unsuccessfully,
to cover my embarrassment
at my blog's jr high "reading level"...
with both excuses and general whining...
it's time to "cat up"....

this means I'll stretch, s-l-o-w-l-y...
yawning several times, scritch the couch...
slink into the kitchen, have a snack...
and return to my nap..


No comments: