Wednesday, February 25, 2009

...man, you are but dust [aka post 666...]



I didn't plan it this way...
it just "happened"...
that this...post # 666...
should come on Ash Wednesday...

for those in the Christian world...
today is the beginning of a period of penance...
introspection, self-denial & "course correction"...
leading to the joyous rebirth of Easter...

last year's Palm Sunday branches are burned...
and placed by the priest on the forehead in the shape of a cross...
to show that the believer is aware of the price paid...
for his soul and those of all other believers...



ironic, that the sign of the "beast"...
666... will also be applied to the forehead...
for all the world to see...

so this evening, as the priest marks the sign of the cross...
on my forehead, in palm ash...
I will be just a bit more aware of it's meaning...

so very grateful for how far I've come...
but very mindful...
of all "the miles to travel, before I sleep"...
and of the sinister traps along the way...
should I ever forget...
"...that I am, but dust..."
and that dust bought, with a great price...

No comments: