Friday, February 27, 2009

...Frankenfinger [whaa, whaaa, whaa...]

[warning: EWWWW zone ahead...]


OK gentle readers...what is it ?




I don't have an electron microscope...but I do have digi mac...
[digital macro photography for the un informed...]

give up ? it's the end of the steel wire in my finger...

it got wet in the shower & they told me to re-bandage it...
so I sensed a photo-op/blog op & clicked away...

it has been swathed in gauze for a couple of weeks now...
so the white, ukky looking stuff, is just wet, dead skin...
it took me a while to get the old bandage off...
so the skin got "pruny"...



that white "pile" around the base of the wire...
is just the now wet, formerly dry, dead skin...
now seen in perspective on the finger...



you can also see where the stitches were removed...
and the healing incision across the knuckle...
is covered with butterfly tape & skin glue...



here, on the left side, more healing incision...
and a better look at the gorp around the wire...



and here, the gorp is gone...
swabbed away by moi...



the right side just looks pruny...



the back, likewise...

there is still some discoloration, but most has gone...
except for a bruise across the top joint that now bends again...
sometimes, it feels like my fingernail is "on too tight"...
sometimes, my finger tingles & stings...
or I got a nerve jolt, like an electric shock...

the underside of the finger...
tends to get sore around the 2nd joint...
the top is itching like crazy now...
as the incision is healing...
as well as the internal repairs...
and the knuckle/palm area is very sore most of the time...
for all fingers...

so with the wire sticking up as much as it does...



I'm still doing this...
I occasionally "bump" the wire end...
OH MY ! NOT a good idea at all...

thankfully, I have this...



the finger cozy MM made for me...
which has really been a Godsend for me...
as it serves several purposes :
keeps my finger toasty warm...
acts as extra padding...
and tends to discourage "questions"...
[maybe they think I'm nuts, with a finger mitten...]

my doctor's appointment is March 5...
I believe that's when they'll pull out the wire...
I am SO ready for this to be over...

2 comments:

The Calico Quilter said...

There is definitely improvement, but still...O...MY...GOODNESS.

catsinger said...

...I'm SO ready for this achy, itchy thing to be healed already...
and just looking at the "wire" gives me the creeps...