Tuesday, March 25, 2008

...John Donne 1.0




as a choral singer, I have enjoyed singing several of Donne's poems set to music...
especially a setting by Imogene Holst of the first 2 stanzas of this poem...enjoy...


"A Hymn to Christ, at the Author's Last Going into Germany"...

In what torne ship soever I embark,
That ship shall be my emblem of Thy ark;
What sea soever swallow me, that flood
Shall be to me an emblem of Thy blood;
Though Thou with clouds of anger do disguise
Thy face, yet through that mask I know those eyes,
Which though they turn away sometimes,
They never will despise.

I sacrifice this island unto Thee,
And all whom I loved there, and who loved me;
When I have put our seas 'twixt them and me,
Put Thou Thy sea betwixt my sins and Thee.
As the tree's sap doth seek the root below
In winter, in my winter now I go
Where none but Thee, the eternal root
Of true love, I may know.

No comments: