Tuesday, March 18, 2008

...clearing out cobwebs

I should be putting together all the stuff to have my taxes done...
but procrastination...or is it "Spring Fever"....
seems to be MUCH more alluring at the moment...

maybe it's the 3 memorial services/funerals in less than 3 weeks...
memorializing 3 "remarkable women" I didn't know...
but from all I've heard, would have liked to...

maybe it's the reminder of Mom's service, a year ago...
or the loss of my old cat recently....
perhaps it being Holy Week, the culmination of Lent...

there is in me a need to be outside...
to feel the warm sun on my back...
the dirt between my fingers, as I plant small things...
country girl, that I was raised to be...

of course, much work needs to be done first...
planting, must be preceded by raking and bagging...
cleaning out of the debris from last year...

then the digging, amending, setting irrigation lines...
all before the setting out of plants can be done...
there is a dead gardenia to dig out and replace...
the Virginia creeper, now budding, must be staked out of the way...

I managed to mow and weed 'n feed the lawn...
but still need to clean up the front porch, as well as feed the roses...
and I have "Spring Fever".... bad...

so, I'll take a walk...with my camera...
my cherry and peach trees are blooming in the back...
as well as the weeping cherry in the front...
soon, the apple, apricot, flowering quince
and pomegranates will join the party...

my yellow freesias have replaced the daffodils ...
the paper whites have gone... the "Johnny Jump-ups" are fading...
but no sign of Iris' yet...[I've had Iris in December...]

the lilac cuttings from Mom's bush that we planted last Spring,
are leafing out and the mature bush is budding...
the Japanese maples are also leafing and the dogwood buds are swelling...

there is plum blossom "snow" in the birdbath...
and all the roses have new growth...
the oaks have new leaves and the camellias are spectacular !

so, I'm off on my walk...
camera in hand...
procrastination in my heart...

to soak up the warm sun...
like a lizard on a rock...
and enjoy God's promise...
fulfilled, yet again...

No comments: