Thursday, December 20, 2007

...why I write... [with apologies to WW II film makers...]

it starts with a "twitch"...
a little annoying facial "tick", as it were...
like an "itch", that's hard to scratch...
but you must try, 'though you can't reach it...

then, hummed snatches of "seasonal melody"...
a brief, sung couplet to a frisky feline...
and, OOPS ! , I'm doing it again...
writing another Cat-mas Carol....

it's pretty much a "seasonally adjusted affliction"...
they come to me in just any old season at all...
I'm talking to a cat...more often, singing "recitative"...
[I am the Catsinger, after all ...]
and, suddenly, I'm in the grasp...and it won't let go
until it's out of my head...
[...don't you just hate that ?...]

I have noticed that the moon is waxing fat...
to be full on Christmas Eve...
the last batch of carols, were likewise, a "lunar related event"...
I think it is no small coincidence that the moon going full
could coax such "looney tunes" from my aging brain...
or make the kitties seem "looney-er ..."

or maybe it's just that I'm surrounded
by so much ins-purr-ation...
after all, art imitates life...
and I live with many furry objects d'art...
[in their minds, anyway...]

and then, there are my friends, and their furry friends....
Dearest Dragonfly, of rapier wit and clever tale,
herself, "staff" for Bixby, mighty hunter...
whose exploits are legendary and inspiring...

Square Peg, who mothers dogs and a fish,
[that's enemy ! & food !...respectively in "cat"...]
but we wouldn't hold that against her...
someone has to stay "above the fray"...
be the voice of reason in all this catly "me, me, me-ness...

sadly, Unkle Phil is no longer "owned" by felines,
but if you've missed "The Story of the One Legged Turkey",
his Thanksgiving post [11/22]...you owe it to yourself to read it at once...
then, the "ins-purr-ation -al"connection
becomes way too obvious...
{hummm, maybe,"over the washer and down the stairs..." ]

and then, there's Miz Minka, Queen of Pithy Phrase ...
herself, possessed of catly virtues, wiles and ways...
[ not to mention serious vocal "chops"...]
"staff" to Minka, she of velvet paws and awesome "haught"...
subject of many a "sappy cat blog", artistic photo and ruler of her known world...
[no wonder Minka thinks she's, all that... ]

I ask you, gentle reader, how on earth,
could I be surrounded with so much ins-purr-ation...
and NOT write Cat-mas Carols ?

so until there's a "cat-staffers anonomous" ,
a support group, with a 12 step plan for cat staffers...
complete with self-help books and DVDs,[$19.95]
I will write and sing, to ease the pain, share the laughs and unburden my soul...

No comments: