Monday, December 24, 2007

"Catsinger and the Night Visitors "...[with apologies to Menotti]

a month ago, Miz Minka installed Sitemeter on my blog...
a wondrous contraption, that at first was, hardly moving...
but now, is spinning fast....[probably seasonal...]

not that I am at all worth reading, to those who cruise by,
I seem to have lots of visitors who search for the same few words...
specifically, "trumpet notes for silent night"...

so I searched those words, and I do come up, first...
since I have a blog by that exact title, not surprising...
but there are places on the same page offering actual music,
which must be what they seek...or why search those words ?

and there are the cat Christmas song junkies...
since I write Cat-mas carols, also understandable...
if you search "Catmas carols", I show up eventually...
along with the "blog pimp" for me by Miz Minka...
and the mention of the carols, with a link, by Dearest Dragonfly...

I even had someone from Israel searching last night,
for "cat Minka...", who has made an appearance,
although perhaps not the "Minka" they sought....
I know she has a " mysterious past", but Israel...I don't think so...

so last night, when I went to bed, there had been 108 visitors...
and this morning by 8 AM, there were 114...
for me that's a huge jump, but I notice most just "cruise",
few pause to read...how like the world has become, that is...

faceless quick encounters.... hit and run...leave only footprints...
make little or no contact, and remain aloof...
without Sitemeter, I wouldn't even know that
anyone had been here, most of the time...

which brings me to my thought, behind the title...
my musings are posted, and visitors come, often in the night,
"searching..."
they seek something they don't find here, and move on...

it reminds me of the small, gem of an opera,
"Amahl, and the Night Visitors", by G.C. Menotti...
Amahl, a crippled shepherd boy lives with his mother, a poor widow...
one night, after Amahl has limped in, on his crutch,
singing of the star he's seen in the sky...they hear someone outside...

a few moments of comedy ensue as
a 1st knock on the door,
is followed by another, and another...
as each attempt by the boy to convince his mother that,
"there are..Kings outside..." is met by maternal disbelief...

finally, his mother opens the door, sees the 3 Kings
and, in astonishment, lets them in....

they tell of the star they follow and the child they seek...
and show the gifts for Him...
all Amahl's mother can see is that there is a lot of gold,
and only a small bit would save her son
from starvation and a death in poverty....

so, after all are asleep, she tries to steal a piece of gold and is caught...
she tells of her pain for Amahl and her desire to protect her child...
they tell her of the specialness of "the Child, we seek",
and what He will mean to all the peoples of the world...

hearing this, Amahl struggles to his feet
and offers his only possession as a gift for the Child...his crutch...

as he does that, he is healed and dances around the stage for joy....
the opera ends with the Kings on their way,
and Amahl and his mother filled with joy and hope...

everyone is seeking...most do not know what it is that they seek,
only that they are driven to look...and in that drive,
may miss the most important find of all...

I've given my crutch to Him...
He has given me my life...peace, joy, love and acceptance....
a family of friends, who are very dear...things to do, that I love...
and the knowledge that it will always be so, with Him...

I can only hope for my "night visitors",
that they may come to this place of peace and joy one day...
so that they no longer need their crutch either...

No comments: