Tuesday, December 15, 2009

...worth the wait



since sometime in mid-August...
a car very much like this one...
[the license plates almost have the same numbers]
has been perched in front of my house...
about 4-5 feet from my driveway...

normally not an issue, but my neighbor across the street...
has several vehicles and one is parked behind the white Chevy...
snugged-up so as not to inconvenience my neighbors to the north...
as we all have 3 garbage cans[garbage, recycle & green waste]
and they are emptied by machine...& when we put them out on trash day...
there needs to be 3 ft on either side of each can [for the machine]...

what this has meant to me is that the 2 parking spaces in front of my house...
have been fully occupied for nearly 4 months...
leaving me NO room for all 3 cans...

just putting out my garbage has become a problem...
since to avoid hitting the white car...
the machine places the empty can, in my driveway entrance...

blocking my access & causing me to have to get out of my car...
leaving it in the street, move the can out of the way...
play chicken with traffic that has backed-up...
[very narrow streets] just to get back into my car...
so that I can enter & park in my own driveway...

my neighbor across the street who owns the "back" vehicle...
will move it if I ask him [he has 5 vehicles, so parking is a premium...]
and last summer, someone, NOT me or UnklePhil...
or the other long-time resident who has a couple of cars himself...
called the cops and 3 of J's vehicles were towed...

so you can imagine that I didn't want to report the white Chevy...
if it might cause the cops to tow J's vehicles again...

quite a lot of cobwebs had trapped a bunch of leaves under it...
but our recent wet & windy storms had cleaned things up a bit...
and I need to do some clean-up which means that I need to put out all 3 cans...
and there is NO place for me to put them...

so today, as I was leaving, I saw UnklePhil out raking leaves...
as we chatted about him borrowing my green waste can this week...
I asked if he had any idea who the white Chevy belonged to...
he said that it might be stolen or even abandoned...
something that had NOT occurred to me...

he sleuthed about the car and we discovered that the registration was expired...
there was some paperwork on the front seat, but not for this car...
I was writing all this down, so I could call the cops...
when suddenly, UnklePhil jumped out into the street, waving his arms...

it was a traffic cop, in one of those golf carts on steroids...
we explained the situation and he got out of his "chariot"...
and started writing a ticket, which he left under the windshield wipers...
he said that he'd check back the next day & if it hadn't moved...
it would be gone by Friday...[trash day is Thursday...]

after he left, I looked at UnklePhil, who's lived there longer than I...
and said," In the 21 years I've lived here, I have NEVER seen a traffic cop...
driving his little cart down this street..."
UnklePhil didn't remember ever seeing one before, either...

it may seem like a small thing, but that car, sitting in my way...
for over 4 months, had been vexing me...
so to see such a sudden and clear solution...
is a blessing to me...
especially, as God had just reiterated His promise...
to provide all my needs...

after the Bible study & Mass, Square Peg helped me figure out...
how to copy & paste the "graphic" business card I designed...
I made 8 which are quite different from the traditional ones...
these are like the "Catsinger" ones I posted a couple of days ago...

so I'm sitting here writing this post...
and FrToolbelt comes in & asks me to cook a dinner & a breakfast...
for about 14 people in a group he belongs to...
in January at the church...

with a budget, menu suggestions & everything...
which is good since right now, I can't afford to buy any of the things I like to make...

Deacon Hugh DID say that I should be "cooking for people"...
perhaps I should investigate making business cards...
for "Catsinger Catering"...comfort food, our specialty...
[lasagna, mac'n cheese, lentil soup, chicken fricassé]

rats, now I'm hungry...

but God is good, even when I'm not sure what's going on...
or what happens next...

2 comments:

us300 said...

Sure do miss your cooking!

catsinger said...

...I miss it myself these days...I can't afford to buy the stuff I really like to cook anymore...
have a great Holiday season...