Wednesday, December 30, 2009

...I figured that BC would be showing-up about now



back in mid-August, this lovely trumpet vine blossom...
blazed in the summer sun...
behind it is my 20+ year old back fence & gate...
[this is the best picture I have of the gate...]



just to the left of this trumpet vine seed pod...
you can see the gate handle, on the left edge of this shot...
unfortunately, the scene of today's BC attack...

when it is wet, the old gate tends to sag a bit...
and stick, making it a chore to open with the key...
the gate has a turnbuckle on the frame side...
but that hasn't been adjusted in quite a while...
and I'm not sure I could tighten it any more with out breaking it...

so I wasn't surprised when the key wouldn't turn easily today...

when I get the trash ready to go to the curb for the Thursday AM pick-up...
I collect all the trash & cat box refuse in bags inside the back door...
there are 2 cat boxes there that are easy to clean from outside...
so I bring the can inside through the gate from the driveway...

and load it from the back door...
then reverse my path & take the can to the curb...

when I had everything piled by the back door...
I went out the front door, around into the driveway...
and prepared to move the can into the back...
that's when BC's fun began...

as I've said, I thought that the gate lock was just being stubborn...
not turning due to the wet wood and sagging gate...
then I heard a click, the key turned a bit...
then a bit more, but the dead bolt hadn't retracted...

I gave the gate a shake & tried again...
*snap*... the key turned freely...
around & around... the cylinder had snapped loose...
the dead bolt was still extended and the lock was broken...

"just what I don't need... another $100 expense..."I fumed...
[this lock is keyed to my house, so the replacement will need to be too]
just then, that little voice reminded me,"the key didn't break...
and the gate is locked shut..." and I realized just how nasty a bullet I'd dodged...



so feeling quite thankful after all...
I placed the open can up against the gate...
went back into the house, climbed over the bags...
opened the back door and crawled out...

ever mindful of Sneaky Pie...
[who operates in stealth mode around open doors...]
I proceeded to take 3 bags of trash, one at a time...
to the gate, lift them up over the fence...
& drop them into the open can on the other side...

all three went in without a snag...

then I cleaned the last 2 cat boxes...
and took that bag to the fence...
it was the smallest, but of course, given its contents...
it snagged on the edge of the can, ripping the bag, etc., etc., etc...

so after I went back out into the drive way...
dumped the torn bag into the can & scooped up the fallen mess...
with BC's laughter still resounding in my ears...
I took the can to the curb & cordially invited BC to return from whence he came...

next week, I'll call the locksmith who set this all up...
I had to replace the front door lock a couple of years ago...
so I'm pretty sure that it'll be $100/$150...
I have a credit card I can use, sigh...

but it's still better than all of that...
PLUS a broken key...[I do keep one at the church...
but this one works smoothly in all 3 locks]
PLUS the deadbolt could have been retracted...
[since my back security light is out...
that would have made me very vulnerable to intruders]...

so at risk of further annoyances from BC...



*pbbbbbbbbffffffffffffft* to you, BC, & all your minions too...

No comments: